We’ve again joined forces with publishers Picador to give away some advance copies of one of their future releases. This time we’re offering Alexander Hemon’s new book Love & Obstacles – a collection of fantastic short stories that “crackles with curiosity and irrepressible energy”.
In return we’re asking everyone who receives a copy to answer a couple of quick questions on their reading habits and to write their thoughts on the book on the back of a specially made bookmark, with the chance of winning a set of Hemon’s previous titles. If you’re already a keen reader, or if you’d like an excuse to start reading we’d love to hear from you.
“Set in the darkest heart of Africa, in deepest Slovenia, in the melting pot of Chicago and in Hemon’s native Sarajevo, this brilliant collection of stories crackles with curiosity and irrepressible energy.
Linked by a young narrator who, like the author, was raised in Yugoslavia and emigrated to the United States, the world the stories create is one of restlessness: of adolescent boys who can’t quite be men, failed poets, ‘accomplished’ alcoholics and striving families. Recalling the surreal and salient experiences of a life – not least in the narrator’s ill-fated expedition across Yugoslavia by night train to acquire a freezer chest and dispose of his virginity – each is exhilarating, surprising, cut through with humour, pathos and insight.
As ever, Hemon confronts pain without blanching but finds delicious absurdity in experience. His is the great humanity of a writer who cares for what otherwise might go unrecorded, and gives voice to what he sees in a style that is breathtakingly his own."
“Hemon is a world-class writer of Seismic depth, riptide humour, wine-dark language, and unflinching candor.” Booklist
This offer is now closed
- The sun's shining, the weather is sweet: here's the Best of the Web
- Great new film series profiling the individuals challenging the macho stereotypes of rugby
- Tom Cockram's photographs of Brazil’s street culture in the lead up to last year’s World Cup
- Clever, well-observed editorial illustrations from Toronto-based Peter Thomas Ryan
- Creative producer Luella Lane tells us about her amazing 80s sticker collection
- Utopia-focussed design work from studio Public School
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography
- “What’s your style? I don’t fucking know. You tell me mate”: A no nonsense look at the work of Barber Osgerby
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team