We’ve again joined forces with publishers Picador to give away some advance copies of one of their future releases. This time we’re offering Alexander Hemon’s new book Love & Obstacles – a collection of fantastic short stories that “crackles with curiosity and irrepressible energy”.
In return we’re asking everyone who receives a copy to answer a couple of quick questions on their reading habits and to write their thoughts on the book on the back of a specially made bookmark, with the chance of winning a set of Hemon’s previous titles. If you’re already a keen reader, or if you’d like an excuse to start reading we’d love to hear from you.
“Set in the darkest heart of Africa, in deepest Slovenia, in the melting pot of Chicago and in Hemon’s native Sarajevo, this brilliant collection of stories crackles with curiosity and irrepressible energy.
Linked by a young narrator who, like the author, was raised in Yugoslavia and emigrated to the United States, the world the stories create is one of restlessness: of adolescent boys who can’t quite be men, failed poets, ‘accomplished’ alcoholics and striving families. Recalling the surreal and salient experiences of a life – not least in the narrator’s ill-fated expedition across Yugoslavia by night train to acquire a freezer chest and dispose of his virginity – each is exhilarating, surprising, cut through with humour, pathos and insight.
As ever, Hemon confronts pain without blanching but finds delicious absurdity in experience. His is the great humanity of a writer who cares for what otherwise might go unrecorded, and gives voice to what he sees in a style that is breathtakingly his own."
“Hemon is a world-class writer of Seismic depth, riptide humour, wine-dark language, and unflinching candor.” Booklist
This offer is now closed
- Tomomi Maezawa designs airy identity for Fabrica and Daikin collaboration
- From building site to bustling creative destination – London's illustration gallery one year on
- Big, bold and beautiful: Isabelle Vaverka designs Unseen photography festival mag
- Three brothers on a summer adventure in Neil Bedford's new series for Kinfolk
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)
- Mark Manzi's photography: part staged, part skill, part "pure luck"
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- Bookshelf: Jason Silva
- A look inside the brand guidelines for the amazing 1970s Nasa "worm" logo
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film