The word ‘beautiful’ gets a healthy amount of use on these pages, but it’s possible that it’s never been more deserved until now. Again, this video has done the rounds, but seeing as Beirut are playing the Jazz World Stage this weekend at Glastonbury, it seems right to mention it.
Choreography, costumes, set design, everything in this video is just as drunkenly triumphant as the song itself, ‘Elephant Gun’, the opening track from the Lon Gisland EP released earlier this year. There’s nothing quite like those big swells of brass. Director Alma Har’el has lots of other great film work and there’s a two part interview with her at Shots Ring Out here and here.
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- The best things on the web, YOUR best comments and the finest folk on social media to follow
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery