It gives me great pleasure to announce the winners from the first week of our Lomography Diana Mini competition. The amount of entries was truly staggering and a total of 1829 photos were put forward and along with Lomo, we’ve picked our ten favourites that you can see here, as well as an interview with the overall winner charwang, who takes away a stack of great prizes. This week’s theme is ’It’s Nice There’ and all you can submit your for the next 4 days…
Hey charwang, congratulations on winning the competition, can you tell us a little bit about who you are and what you do?
I’m a recent college graduate from California who has transplanted to the Washington DC area to work for the NIH (National Institute of Health). I currently work on HIV vaccine development at the NIH. In my free time, I’m a big fan of globetrotting, photography, and gastronomy.
What is your photo about, and why did you think it fit the ‘It’s Nice That’ theme?
I took a photo of a mango lassipop, which is a popsicle form of a mango lassi (an Indian yogurt drink). A local Indian food truck (Fojol Bros of Merlinda) sells these during hot days in the Washington DC area, which I tend to chase down as frequently as possible. Clearly, I think mango lassipops are quite nice!
What’s the first thing you’re going to photograph with your new Diana Mini?
Either my explorations while sneaking away from my work retreat in Philadelphia (can you say Liberty Bell?) or my 22nd birthday shenanigans!
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU