It gives me great pleasure to announce the winners from the first week of our Lomography Diana Mini competition. The amount of entries was truly staggering and a total of 1829 photos were put forward and along with Lomo, we’ve picked our ten favourites that you can see here, as well as an interview with the overall winner charwang, who takes away a stack of great prizes. This week’s theme is ’It’s Nice There’ and all you can submit your for the next 4 days…
Hey charwang, congratulations on winning the competition, can you tell us a little bit about who you are and what you do?
I’m a recent college graduate from California who has transplanted to the Washington DC area to work for the NIH (National Institute of Health). I currently work on HIV vaccine development at the NIH. In my free time, I’m a big fan of globetrotting, photography, and gastronomy.
What is your photo about, and why did you think it fit the ‘It’s Nice That’ theme?
I took a photo of a mango lassipop, which is a popsicle form of a mango lassi (an Indian yogurt drink). A local Indian food truck (Fojol Bros of Merlinda) sells these during hot days in the Washington DC area, which I tend to chase down as frequently as possible. Clearly, I think mango lassipops are quite nice!
What’s the first thing you’re going to photograph with your new Diana Mini?
Either my explorations while sneaking away from my work retreat in Philadelphia (can you say Liberty Bell?) or my 22nd birthday shenanigans!
- Artist Howard Fonda captures the vibrancy of summer for Ace & Tate
- Robbie Simon, the jack of all trades and the master of them too
- Mattis Dovier’s weird and wonderful 8-bit dot animation for XXX’s music video
- Jessica Lehrman's photographic document of social revolution, Black Lives Matter and Occupy Wall Street
- Zoe Kao and Huang Wun-Siang find inspiration in the uncertainty of the design process
- Documenting the world in motion: Lauren Tamaki’s illustrations of modern life
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale