It gives me great pleasure to announce the winners from the first week of our Lomography Diana Mini competition. The amount of entries was truly staggering and a total of 1829 photos were put forward and along with Lomo, we’ve picked our ten favourites that you can see here, as well as an interview with the overall winner charwang, who takes away a stack of great prizes. This week’s theme is ’It’s Nice There’ and all you can submit your for the next 4 days…
Hey charwang, congratulations on winning the competition, can you tell us a little bit about who you are and what you do?
I’m a recent college graduate from California who has transplanted to the Washington DC area to work for the NIH (National Institute of Health). I currently work on HIV vaccine development at the NIH. In my free time, I’m a big fan of globetrotting, photography, and gastronomy.
What is your photo about, and why did you think it fit the ‘It’s Nice That’ theme?
I took a photo of a mango lassipop, which is a popsicle form of a mango lassi (an Indian yogurt drink). A local Indian food truck (Fojol Bros of Merlinda) sells these during hot days in the Washington DC area, which I tend to chase down as frequently as possible. Clearly, I think mango lassipops are quite nice!
What’s the first thing you’re going to photograph with your new Diana Mini?
Either my explorations while sneaking away from my work retreat in Philadelphia (can you say Liberty Bell?) or my 22nd birthday shenanigans!
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery