It wouldn’t be a review of the year without including Joe, he has been a constant source of inspiration and his meticulous attention for detail has resulted in the first two issues of the It’s Nice That publication looking as good as they do.
Joe’s image for 2009, “It would be hard to prioritise & quantify my varied output this year through a single image, therefore I thought I would simply set this years grading in three different display faces I developed for various projects.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
On average 4.5 with highs and lows. Long and tiring, with many frustrating moments and several interesting lessons learnt. It’s shown me my strengths and weaknesses. I also found myself visiting Scotland a lot!
Best new discovery?
My daughter’s evolving personality. Electric Elephant Festival, Croatia.
Adding a big number 2 to the cover of Issue 2 of It’s Nice That magazine! Finally bothering to pass my driving test.
What were you doing this time last year?
Planning this year’s strategy/escape route and moaning about the weather.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My energy levels cured by Kiwi fruit. Tent fixed with gaffer tape & borrowed wisdom.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
I do really enjoy Cobbenhagen Hendriksen’s identity for the De Hallen Haarlem. The Paramount Club (Centre Point) identity package is strong. Hyperkits new site layout is very sweet. I did recently enjoy the Dieter Rams exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
That’s debatable, Man-flu maybe.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Not a lot really, it’s all about moving forward – new horizons. On a design tip, delivering the Commonwealth Games 2014 identity/guidelines and It’s Nice That magazine Issue 3. On a personal note start hiking more often now I can drive and finally releasing the first Keyboard Masher EP, plus I intend to buy a new bike frame.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs