It wouldn’t be a review of the year without including Joe, he has been a constant source of inspiration and his meticulous attention for detail has resulted in the first two issues of the It’s Nice That publication looking as good as they do.
Joe’s image for 2009, “It would be hard to prioritise & quantify my varied output this year through a single image, therefore I thought I would simply set this years grading in three different display faces I developed for various projects.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
On average 4.5 with highs and lows. Long and tiring, with many frustrating moments and several interesting lessons learnt. It’s shown me my strengths and weaknesses. I also found myself visiting Scotland a lot!
Best new discovery?
My daughter’s evolving personality. Electric Elephant Festival, Croatia.
Adding a big number 2 to the cover of Issue 2 of It’s Nice That magazine! Finally bothering to pass my driving test.
What were you doing this time last year?
Planning this year’s strategy/escape route and moaning about the weather.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My energy levels cured by Kiwi fruit. Tent fixed with gaffer tape & borrowed wisdom.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
I do really enjoy Cobbenhagen Hendriksen’s identity for the De Hallen Haarlem. The Paramount Club (Centre Point) identity package is strong. Hyperkits new site layout is very sweet. I did recently enjoy the Dieter Rams exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
That’s debatable, Man-flu maybe.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Not a lot really, it’s all about moving forward – new horizons. On a design tip, delivering the Commonwealth Games 2014 identity/guidelines and It’s Nice That magazine Issue 3. On a personal note start hiking more often now I can drive and finally releasing the first Keyboard Masher EP, plus I intend to buy a new bike frame.
- Standards Manual return with catalogue of 400 objects relating to New York City Transit
- Emma King's publication rewrites Orwell's "1984" using Donald Trump's tweets
- It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day – it’s Best of the Web!
- Bolade Banjo photographs the perseverance of Detroit’s student athletes
- Alex Grigg animates Steve Stoute’s homage to Biggie Smalls
- Billy Clark applies his graphic sensibilities to his minimal yet textured illustrations
- Polaroid’s creative director Danny Pemberton introduces new brand Polaroid Originals
- Artist Dominique Pétrin on creating her very own domestic product
- Universal Everything animate emotive wallpapers for new iPhone devices
- Herburg Weiland’s meticulous editorial designs are typographically-driven
- The Visual History of Type author Paul McNeil selects and dissects his six favourite faces
- Breakdown Press’ Joe Kessler picks out his most-treasured books