It wouldn’t be a review of the year without including Joe, he has been a constant source of inspiration and his meticulous attention for detail has resulted in the first two issues of the It’s Nice That publication looking as good as they do.
Joe’s image for 2009, “It would be hard to prioritise & quantify my varied output this year through a single image, therefore I thought I would simply set this years grading in three different display faces I developed for various projects.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
On average 4.5 with highs and lows. Long and tiring, with many frustrating moments and several interesting lessons learnt. It’s shown me my strengths and weaknesses. I also found myself visiting Scotland a lot!
Best new discovery?
My daughter’s evolving personality. Electric Elephant Festival, Croatia.
Adding a big number 2 to the cover of Issue 2 of It’s Nice That magazine! Finally bothering to pass my driving test.
What were you doing this time last year?
Planning this year’s strategy/escape route and moaning about the weather.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My energy levels cured by Kiwi fruit. Tent fixed with gaffer tape & borrowed wisdom.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
I do really enjoy Cobbenhagen Hendriksen’s identity for the De Hallen Haarlem. The Paramount Club (Centre Point) identity package is strong. Hyperkits new site layout is very sweet. I did recently enjoy the Dieter Rams exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
That’s debatable, Man-flu maybe.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Not a lot really, it’s all about moving forward – new horizons. On a design tip, delivering the Commonwealth Games 2014 identity/guidelines and It’s Nice That magazine Issue 3. On a personal note start hiking more often now I can drive and finally releasing the first Keyboard Masher EP, plus I intend to buy a new bike frame.
- Like a milder version of Marmite, it’s Best of the Web!
- Meet graphic designer Tor Weibull and his tubular metal typography
- Glasgow watch company Paulin launch new Art Deco-inspired typeface
- Samuel Douek on his pop-up queer art space CAMPerVAN at Tate Modern
- Agnese Morganti celebrates the sparkle and community of Italy’s majorettes
- Friday Mixtape: Visions Festival make us a mix of eclectic acts from its line up
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels