It wouldn’t be a review of the year without including Joe, he has been a constant source of inspiration and his meticulous attention for detail has resulted in the first two issues of the It’s Nice That publication looking as good as they do.
Joe’s image for 2009, “It would be hard to prioritise & quantify my varied output this year through a single image, therefore I thought I would simply set this years grading in three different display faces I developed for various projects.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
On average 4.5 with highs and lows. Long and tiring, with many frustrating moments and several interesting lessons learnt. It’s shown me my strengths and weaknesses. I also found myself visiting Scotland a lot!
Best new discovery?
My daughter’s evolving personality. Electric Elephant Festival, Croatia.
Adding a big number 2 to the cover of Issue 2 of It’s Nice That magazine! Finally bothering to pass my driving test.
What were you doing this time last year?
Planning this year’s strategy/escape route and moaning about the weather.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My energy levels cured by Kiwi fruit. Tent fixed with gaffer tape & borrowed wisdom.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
I do really enjoy Cobbenhagen Hendriksen’s identity for the De Hallen Haarlem. The Paramount Club (Centre Point) identity package is strong. Hyperkits new site layout is very sweet. I did recently enjoy the Dieter Rams exhibition.
Did you get Swine Flu?
That’s debatable, Man-flu maybe.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Not a lot really, it’s all about moving forward – new horizons. On a design tip, delivering the Commonwealth Games 2014 identity/guidelines and It’s Nice That magazine Issue 3. On a personal note start hiking more often now I can drive and finally releasing the first Keyboard Masher EP, plus I intend to buy a new bike frame.
- Yukai Du transports us to galaxies far, far away in TED-Ed animation
- Illustration galore: it's February's Things!
- The past, present and future of gaming on The It’s Nice That Podcast
- Photographer Enda Bowe searches for light and beauty in At Mirrored River
- Dive into the trippy 3D world of Vector Meldrew in his latest video for Addison Groove
- Finnish illustrator Daniel Stolle’s atmospheric editorial illustrations
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Hanne Berkaak’s deeply moving and sensitive animation tackling self-harm
- Apple to open its Norman Foster-designed campus in April