As mentioned yesterday with Rose Blake’s post, we launched our annual graduates feature back in June and it was kindly supported by Mike at Represent. Here he shares his 2009 in response to our now familiar questions.
Mike’s image from 2009, “This is where I’ve loved doing business in 2009. Bob Bob Ricards in London, I invite people there for a breakfast to show I have a discerning eye and to impress and be a little formal. A perfect mix of glamour, design and good food. Designed by amongst others Andy Harvey at Saturday and David Collins Studio.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
9/9. Very challenging year, have learned loads, mainly how to just ‘be’. I also did a 7 day food fast which was major and learned to meditate, so all in all I’ve learned how to relax and take things less seriously.
Best new discovery?
Best new discovery was the artist Livia Marin who exhibited in the gallery I also run, also featured by It’s Nice That. Her work is sublime, innovative and thought provoking. I have really fallen in love with ceramics this year.
The best idea I had this year was to open our gallery, House of Propellers. It was an antidote to the recession and something amazingly positive to work on. Looking forward to the new season of work starting April 2010.
What were you doing this time last year?
This time last year I was in shock wondering what was happening in the world.
What broke? How did you fix it?
The recession punched my business right in the guts. Recession has meant we have had to refocus, refine our offer and become leaner. Fortunately we have weathered the storm and found new inspiration for the business with a clear vision of where we are heading. Really looking forward to 2010.
I’m an avid reader of self development books and would recommend The Secret (awfully designed) and Louise Hey’s ‘You Can Heal Your Life’. Quite life changing if you can embrace the ideas. The album I’ve listened to most this year is by Sia and called ‘Some People Have Real Problems’, it was actually released last year but all the music I’ve bought this year isn’t worth a mention. Favourite films this year were The Age Of Stupid and The September Issue – Anna Wintour is truly wicked.
Did you get Swine Flu?
Didn’t get swine flu in 2009 and not getting it in 2010.
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I am going to majorly miss my amazing flat in Notting Hill but after living all my adult years in a flat it’s time to move to a whole house with a garden and everything.
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- Gilles de Brock’s bold poster designs use found imagery and psychedelic hues
- Campbell Addy takes us inside the pages of Niijournal’s long-awaited second issue
- Scott Gallagher photographs the youth of marching bands in Northern Ireland
- South-London artist Lucas Dupuy explores dyslexia through blurred shapes and symbols
- “Noise, exertion and rebellion”: Ari Marcopoulos’ latest exhibition, Machine
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus