One of the best discoveries of a year or so ago was the work of Riitta Ikonen, this year we were lucky enough to work with her on a number of projects. We interviewed her for the first issue of It’s Nice That, she spoke at the first talk and pictured here is her exciting collaboration with Ian Wright for If You Could Collaborate.
Riitta’s image from 2009, “Still to come, Peace and Quiet – Act 2. Pieces waiting for assembly in New York”.
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7.5 (being quite harsh). A surprising amount of action has fit into a year. And the big slab of life wabbles on. I learned to be a bit more lateral sometimes. Concentration and determination for next year please.
Best new discovery?
Place, ‘treasure beach’ in NY, A tip from Robin Nagle- lecturer on ‘Gotham and it’s Garbage’. Crab Shack in Savannah for food. Moscow for heels. Artist, Lenka Clayton over a drink. Thing, Baconzilla burger from Checkers. Person, Brenda Dickson. Music, DJ Ian Wright.
What were you doing this time last year?
Setting up a studio in London, RCA Secret exhibition, Preparing for the Chanterelle photograph.
What broke? How did you fix it?
The o2 sensor in the truck broke. I just held my breath as it happened, but next time I shall fix it by: removing the positive terminal of the battery which will essentially reset the computer and disable the o2 sensor. Wait for flood of gas to clear out. Start the vehicle. Drive into sunset.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
The archaeological museum in Lisbon has two Peruvian mummies (a woman and a boy) displayed in small upright glass cabinets. They caught me off guard.
Natasha’s Dance – A cultural history of Russia by Orlando Figes, and if I can pick another one;
‘Folklore, Myths and Legends of Britain, published by Reader’s Digest. Film, Cleopatra? …at least it was the longest.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I’ll miss my grandmother, looking forward to the old-growth forest in the North West!
- Iris Erlings’ delicate drawings are inspired by the works of modernist sculptors
- Node Berlin Oslo talks through its redesign of Haus der Kulturen der Welt
- A closer look at five creatives speaking at Design Indaba 2017
- Anxiety, speed and rave flyers: artist Mark Leckey on his iconic video "Fiorucci Made Me Hardcore"
- We speak to Lovetrue director Alma Har’el about her surrealist short film for The Fifth Sense
- Adventures in Typography: Spin’s new book about its creative process
- UN Women Egypt releases intricately illustrated print ads to highlight gender divide at work
- Chinese photographer Ren Hang has died aged 29
- Designer Lennart Van den Bossche’s typographic work combines "logic and beauty"
- Photographer Zuza Krajewska's fragile portraits of Polish young offenders
- Miffy creator, author and illustrator Dick Bruna dies aged 89
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality