Back in June we launched our Graduates 2009 feature and among the other twenty-one emerging designers, illustrators and filmmakers we discovered the fantastic work of Rose Blake.
Rose’s image from 2009, “These are some eggs that me and my friends drew our faces on. I am the one on the far right on the front row. I chose this picture because I spent most of 2009 either hanging out with my friends or drawing… and this picture shows both!”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
Maybe a 6. I finished college this summer, realized being an illustrator is really hard, started at the RCA, moved back to my mum and dads house.
Best new discovery?
I really can’t think of a good one… probably the decision to do my MA.
What were you doing this time last year?
Living in an attic with no central heating.
What broke? How did you fix it?
The back of my car, a police car drove into it while it was parked. The police fixed it for me (after a lot of fuss).
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Joe Pelling’s film Outside the Box.
Book: I thought The Road by Cormac McCarthy was amazing and I made all my friends read it, also An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. Blexbolex’s ‘Abcederia’ published by Nobrow is so inspiring – especially colour wise. Music: Really obvious, but The Beatles stereo remasters sound so good (particularly Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour). Film: I cried all the way through The Reader (oh god).
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I already miss living within about a five minute walk of all my friends, but I’m looking forward to doing so again in 2010. Also just looking forward to developing my drawings and making them better!
- Mirka Laura Severa makes snowmen models in fashion shoot for SZ Magazin
- 100 hours with The Beatles: Shimpei Asai's photographs from 1966
- Joe Schlaud's cheeky Kama Sutra illustrations (NSFW)
- Artist Matthew F Fisher paints seascapes and wildlife with vivid precision
- Hayley Louisa Brown on travelling to Memphis as part of Ace & Tate's Creative Fund
- Photographer Roe Ethridge’s images blur the lines between commercial and sentimental
- Photographer Carlota Guerrero on collaborating with Solange and getting signed to WeFolk (some NSFW)
- Taiwanese graphic designer Wang Zhi-Hong’s sublime cover designs
- New York-based Blake Lewis’ neat and considered portfolio exudes simplicity
- Erotic journal Odiseo explores laughter and loathing in its ninth volume (NSFW)
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Sagmeister & Walsh releases more pins, raising funds for “causes threatened by the Trump administration”