Back in June we launched our Graduates 2009 feature and among the other twenty-one emerging designers, illustrators and filmmakers we discovered the fantastic work of Rose Blake.
Rose’s image from 2009, “These are some eggs that me and my friends drew our faces on. I am the one on the far right on the front row. I chose this picture because I spent most of 2009 either hanging out with my friends or drawing… and this picture shows both!”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
Maybe a 6. I finished college this summer, realized being an illustrator is really hard, started at the RCA, moved back to my mum and dads house.
Best new discovery?
I really can’t think of a good one… probably the decision to do my MA.
What were you doing this time last year?
Living in an attic with no central heating.
What broke? How did you fix it?
The back of my car, a police car drove into it while it was parked. The police fixed it for me (after a lot of fuss).
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Joe Pelling’s film Outside the Box.
Book: I thought The Road by Cormac McCarthy was amazing and I made all my friends read it, also An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. Blexbolex’s ‘Abcederia’ published by Nobrow is so inspiring – especially colour wise. Music: Really obvious, but The Beatles stereo remasters sound so good (particularly Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour). Film: I cried all the way through The Reader (oh god).
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I already miss living within about a five minute walk of all my friends, but I’m looking forward to doing so again in 2010. Also just looking forward to developing my drawings and making them better!
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting