Back in June we launched our Graduates 2009 feature and among the other twenty-one emerging designers, illustrators and filmmakers we discovered the fantastic work of Rose Blake.
Rose’s image from 2009, “These are some eggs that me and my friends drew our faces on. I am the one on the far right on the front row. I chose this picture because I spent most of 2009 either hanging out with my friends or drawing… and this picture shows both!”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
Maybe a 6. I finished college this summer, realized being an illustrator is really hard, started at the RCA, moved back to my mum and dads house.
Best new discovery?
I really can’t think of a good one… probably the decision to do my MA.
What were you doing this time last year?
Living in an attic with no central heating.
What broke? How did you fix it?
The back of my car, a police car drove into it while it was parked. The police fixed it for me (after a lot of fuss).
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Joe Pelling’s film Outside the Box.
Book: I thought The Road by Cormac McCarthy was amazing and I made all my friends read it, also An Equal Music by Vikram Seth. Blexbolex’s ‘Abcederia’ published by Nobrow is so inspiring – especially colour wise. Music: Really obvious, but The Beatles stereo remasters sound so good (particularly Abbey Road and Magical Mystery Tour). Film: I cried all the way through The Reader (oh god).
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I already miss living within about a five minute walk of all my friends, but I’m looking forward to doing so again in 2010. Also just looking forward to developing my drawings and making them better!
- Christian Pardini's Studio Flat creates neat type-based posters, postcards and identity design
- Lynnie Zulu decorates her exotic characters in punchy hues and patterns
- Mark Manzi makes a spectacle of spectators at the Queen’s 90th Birthday
- French studio Large’s confident and consistent designs for electronic music mag Trax
- New work from Supermundane show Everything Connects
- Oliver Jeffers, Yuri Suzuki, Anna Ginsburg and Jimmy Turrell at Nicer Tuesdays
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Babak Ganjei paints 90s sitcom sitting rooms. But which one's which?
- Pop, subcultures and the future of graphic design: an interview with Experimental Jetset
- Oliver Curtis photographs the world’s most famous monuments, the wrong way round