When we launched the publication back in April it gave us the opportunity to work with some fantastic writers who contributed the opening piece on the theme of ‘nice’. Following Tao Lin we welcomed the hugely talented Molly Young to introduce the second issue.
Molly’s image from 2009, “The most charismatic roof in New York.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
9. Every year is the best one yet.
Best new discovery?
Conducting a survey of the Top Ten Donuts in America for a magazine. For weeks I received boxloads of donuts from every corner of the nation. Apricot cardamom fritters, peanut butter-banana crullers, maple bacon donuts—I downed everything. And it was all good.
What were you doing this time last year?
Swaddled in a scarf writing at my desk with a Pilot V7 pen and a wide-ruled notebook. I write by hand; I like connecting a physical with a mental exercise.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My pet dinosaur shrimp died. I bought another one.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Carroll Dunham’s giant astrological vaginas at a show of paintings in New York. He does vaginas like no one else: straddling the night sky, exploding, foregrounded by cacti, rimmed with pubes thicker than a ZZ Top beard.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Won’t miss anything. Looking forward to everything.
- Submit Saturdays: photographer and filmmaker Harry Israelson's bright, smart portfolio
- May Diary: where to go and what to see this month
- Crisp and vibrant design work from ECAL graduate Clement Rouzaud
- Portuguese illustrator Tiago Galo’s plump little characters are oddly charming
- Matthew Butcher launches the Flood House that will travel around the Thames Estuary
- Haunting train-simulator-based animation by Jack Featherstone for Occult Orientated Crime
- Philip Coppola spends nearly 40 years illustrating New York City’s Subway Stations
- LA studio Laundry creates amazing warped Simpsons idents for American channel FX
- Design Bridge creates new harp icon for Guinness
- Winning design for Tokyo 2020 Olympics unveiled
- Prince: 1958-2016
- Milton Glaser creates new look for Brooklyn Brewery