When we launched the publication back in April it gave us the opportunity to work with some fantastic writers who contributed the opening piece on the theme of ‘nice’. Following Tao Lin we welcomed the hugely talented Molly Young to introduce the second issue.
Molly’s image from 2009, “The most charismatic roof in New York.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
9. Every year is the best one yet.
Best new discovery?
Conducting a survey of the Top Ten Donuts in America for a magazine. For weeks I received boxloads of donuts from every corner of the nation. Apricot cardamom fritters, peanut butter-banana crullers, maple bacon donuts—I downed everything. And it was all good.
What were you doing this time last year?
Swaddled in a scarf writing at my desk with a Pilot V7 pen and a wide-ruled notebook. I write by hand; I like connecting a physical with a mental exercise.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My pet dinosaur shrimp died. I bought another one.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Carroll Dunham’s giant astrological vaginas at a show of paintings in New York. He does vaginas like no one else: straddling the night sky, exploding, foregrounded by cacti, rimmed with pubes thicker than a ZZ Top beard.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Won’t miss anything. Looking forward to everything.
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- A magazine that tells stories of life, from everywhere and anywhere
- Effortlessly sleek art direction from Paris-based Romain Lenancker
- New York's Meatpacking district rebranded by Base Design to highlight area’s “contrasts”
- Being creative and looking at art: what can it do for mental health?
- Impossible perspectives and block-like figures in Mernet Larsen’s paintings
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Pentagram’s Emily Oberman brands Snoop Dogg’s new line of weed products
- How do you redesign Kinfolk? What does graphic designing for Wes Anderson involve? Can drawing get you girls?
- Inspire and being inspired: graphic designers who teach