When we launched the publication back in April it gave us the opportunity to work with some fantastic writers who contributed the opening piece on the theme of ‘nice’. Following Tao Lin we welcomed the hugely talented Molly Young to introduce the second issue.
Molly’s image from 2009, “The most charismatic roof in New York.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
9. Every year is the best one yet.
Best new discovery?
Conducting a survey of the Top Ten Donuts in America for a magazine. For weeks I received boxloads of donuts from every corner of the nation. Apricot cardamom fritters, peanut butter-banana crullers, maple bacon donuts—I downed everything. And it was all good.
What were you doing this time last year?
Swaddled in a scarf writing at my desk with a Pilot V7 pen and a wide-ruled notebook. I write by hand; I like connecting a physical with a mental exercise.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My pet dinosaur shrimp died. I bought another one.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Carroll Dunham’s giant astrological vaginas at a show of paintings in New York. He does vaginas like no one else: straddling the night sky, exploding, foregrounded by cacti, rimmed with pubes thicker than a ZZ Top beard.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Won’t miss anything. Looking forward to everything.
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label