When we launched the publication back in April it gave us the opportunity to work with some fantastic writers who contributed the opening piece on the theme of ‘nice’. Following Tao Lin we welcomed the hugely talented Molly Young to introduce the second issue.
Molly’s image from 2009, “The most charismatic roof in New York.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
9. Every year is the best one yet.
Best new discovery?
Conducting a survey of the Top Ten Donuts in America for a magazine. For weeks I received boxloads of donuts from every corner of the nation. Apricot cardamom fritters, peanut butter-banana crullers, maple bacon donuts—I downed everything. And it was all good.
What were you doing this time last year?
Swaddled in a scarf writing at my desk with a Pilot V7 pen and a wide-ruled notebook. I write by hand; I like connecting a physical with a mental exercise.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My pet dinosaur shrimp died. I bought another one.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Carroll Dunham’s giant astrological vaginas at a show of paintings in New York. He does vaginas like no one else: straddling the night sky, exploding, foregrounded by cacti, rimmed with pubes thicker than a ZZ Top beard.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Won’t miss anything. Looking forward to everything.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting