When we launched the publication back in April it gave us the opportunity to work with some fantastic writers who contributed the opening piece on the theme of ‘nice’. Following Tao Lin we welcomed the hugely talented Molly Young to introduce the second issue.
Molly’s image from 2009, “The most charismatic roof in New York.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
9. Every year is the best one yet.
Best new discovery?
Conducting a survey of the Top Ten Donuts in America for a magazine. For weeks I received boxloads of donuts from every corner of the nation. Apricot cardamom fritters, peanut butter-banana crullers, maple bacon donuts—I downed everything. And it was all good.
What were you doing this time last year?
Swaddled in a scarf writing at my desk with a Pilot V7 pen and a wide-ruled notebook. I write by hand; I like connecting a physical with a mental exercise.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My pet dinosaur shrimp died. I bought another one.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
Carroll Dunham’s giant astrological vaginas at a show of paintings in New York. He does vaginas like no one else: straddling the night sky, exploding, foregrounded by cacti, rimmed with pubes thicker than a ZZ Top beard.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Won’t miss anything. Looking forward to everything.
- ManvsMachine on its hugely diverse campaign for Air Max Day
- A treasure trove of goodies, it’s Best of the Web!
- Donald Sanger illustrates a grotesque and humorous version of humanity
- Photographer Joshua Osborne takes a closer look at Havana’s male subcultures
- Friday Mixtape: Ghostpoet’s “drum worship mix” for all your percussive needs
- Yann Kebbi’s chaotic pencil drawings depict various forms of catastrophe
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- Illustrator Ram Han’s Alice in Wonderland dreamscape
- Ikea uses ASMR technology in 25-minute, tingle inducing advert
- Designs of the Year 2017 shortlist includes Wolfgang Tillmans’ Remain campaign, the Refugee flag and Me & EU