The hugely talented Dutch artist Rafaël Rozendaal was one of seven interviews we conducted for Issue #2, here he contributes to our month long feature looking back at 2009.
Rafaël’s image from 2009, “Hot Doom .com, website, 2009”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
The year started great, I was never happier, but it got harder and harder emotionally and now I’m at an all time low. I won’t go in to details but love is hard if not impossible. Workwise it has been the best year so far, letting go of fear in favor of productivity.
Best new discovery?
Food in Japan. I knew food plays an important role in Japanese society, I did not know it was THAT important and THAT good.
At this moment I feel so low the word “best idea” doesn’t come to mind. I did not have a bad idea either, it’s just a path I have to follow.
What were you doing this time last year?
I was on a beach in Mexico riding a jetski with the love of my life but that’s all over now.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Workwise nothing broke, everything in an upward movement, more pieces, new insights, lots of attention.
Personal life broke big time and beyond repair, just have to focus on the healing power of work.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
I’ve always loved the poetry of Nikola Tosic. This month he finally collected his best in one website here.
Did you get Swine Flu?
I don’t get sick that much, no swine flu for me. I am so thankful to be in good health!
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I don’t miss 2009, I miss 2008, that was the best year ever. Hopefully 2010 will surpass it. I’m looking forward to finding peace with myself and being happy on my own, let’s see if it’s possible.
- Get your pout on, it's Valentine's weekend, and it's the Best of the Web
- Moby Digg uses basic colours and shapes for photo exhibition identity
- From celebs to cleaners, Maxi Cohen photographs ladies’ rooms around the world
- Seoul-based illustrator Yeon Ji Kang's beautifully thick-limbed ballerinas
- Roses at the ready, our round-up of the best Valentine’s Day ideas from the creative world
- First Dates for those who create: two-thirds of Nous Vous on their special three-way relationship
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- Our round-up of last night’s Super Bowl 50 ads
- Hato’s responsive identity design for Pick Me Up 2016