A number of people helped us in one way or another this year, but few more than designer Ben Terrett. We were duly flattered by his words about us back in September and to be recognised by such a talent was a real and unexpected honour. Here, he shares with us his best bits from 2009.
Ben’s image from 2009, “The image was taken on a windy day when a few good friends gathered on Blackheath to fly kites. We flew kites for hours. Experts, novices and children alike. Many laughs were had, many photos were taken. Amazing fun and gorgeous colours too.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7. Moderate, becoming good in areas.
Best new discovery?
For 12 years I loved the Tube, then I cycled for a year and now I fucking hate it. Cycling around London is amazing. Quicker, cheaper and loads of fun.
What were you doing this time last year?
About to fly to Portland for Thanksgiving which is exactly what I’m about to do now (Be answered these questions on 26 November). I was also working on this.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Early on I’d stopped getting up early. Now I get up earlier.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
This by Matt Jones, there were lots of these around this year but this one has an intelligence, an elegance and an optimism not seen elsewhere:
Did you get Swine Flu?
Nope. I did the Swine Flu Skank
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Miss: I won’t know for a while. Fwd: Newspaper Club launching.
- Nine vital nuggets about the hows and whys of being a project manager or producer – and why all the hard work is worth it
- Stars, drag queens, and the literati: Avedon and Warhol’s heroes and antiheroes
- Designer Morag Myerscough gives us a peek at her bookshelf
- Photographer Matthew Brown explores the forgotten details in a university campus
- First Dates for those who create: Studio Swine tells us about their working relationship
- Experimental Jetset, Build and others' war posters curated by Pentagram's Alex Brown
- Racy photography from the new issue of Odiseo
- VSCO develops new typeface and a symbol-based language as part of its rebrand
- When to wake up, what to drink and how to work: “how to live like a creative” unveiled
- How to beat creative block: one designer offers his invaluable advice
- DesignStudio rebrands the Premier League
- Meditation and creativity: should we believe the hype?