A number of people helped us in one way or another this year, but few more than designer Ben Terrett. We were duly flattered by his words about us back in September and to be recognised by such a talent was a real and unexpected honour. Here, he shares with us his best bits from 2009.
Ben’s image from 2009, “The image was taken on a windy day when a few good friends gathered on Blackheath to fly kites. We flew kites for hours. Experts, novices and children alike. Many laughs were had, many photos were taken. Amazing fun and gorgeous colours too.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7. Moderate, becoming good in areas.
Best new discovery?
For 12 years I loved the Tube, then I cycled for a year and now I fucking hate it. Cycling around London is amazing. Quicker, cheaper and loads of fun.
What were you doing this time last year?
About to fly to Portland for Thanksgiving which is exactly what I’m about to do now (Be answered these questions on 26 November). I was also working on this.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Early on I’d stopped getting up early. Now I get up earlier.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
This by Matt Jones, there were lots of these around this year but this one has an intelligence, an elegance and an optimism not seen elsewhere:
Did you get Swine Flu?
Nope. I did the Swine Flu Skank
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Miss: I won’t know for a while. Fwd: Newspaper Club launching.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project