A number of people helped us in one way or another this year, but few more than designer Ben Terrett. We were duly flattered by his words about us back in September and to be recognised by such a talent was a real and unexpected honour. Here, he shares with us his best bits from 2009.
Ben’s image from 2009, “The image was taken on a windy day when a few good friends gathered on Blackheath to fly kites. We flew kites for hours. Experts, novices and children alike. Many laughs were had, many photos were taken. Amazing fun and gorgeous colours too.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7. Moderate, becoming good in areas.
Best new discovery?
For 12 years I loved the Tube, then I cycled for a year and now I fucking hate it. Cycling around London is amazing. Quicker, cheaper and loads of fun.
What were you doing this time last year?
About to fly to Portland for Thanksgiving which is exactly what I’m about to do now (Be answered these questions on 26 November). I was also working on this.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Early on I’d stopped getting up early. Now I get up earlier.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
This by Matt Jones, there were lots of these around this year but this one has an intelligence, an elegance and an optimism not seen elsewhere:
Did you get Swine Flu?
Nope. I did the Swine Flu Skank
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Miss: I won’t know for a while. Fwd: Newspaper Club launching.
- Submit Saturdays: Should you create a portfolio website when you’re a student?
- Reactions to the referendum and our weekly Best of the Web
- Ben Hill and Daniel Oeffinger offer helping hand on Bucks' new animated spot for Cree
- Kristen Liu-Wong’s wild fluoro illustrations of empowered women
- Thoughtful composition and colour blocking in Martin Steiner’s sleek portfolio
- The Imperfection Booklets by O.OO explain the nuances of Risograph printing
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- World’s “ugliest” Pantone colour 448C is being used to deter smokers
- Ten of our favourite collage artists on Instagram
- Creative industries make last attempts to sway EU referendum voters
- North evolves Tate identity to be more adaptable
- Monotype unveils its redesigned Transport for London typeface, Johnston100