A number of people helped us in one way or another this year, but few more than designer Ben Terrett. We were duly flattered by his words about us back in September and to be recognised by such a talent was a real and unexpected honour. Here, he shares with us his best bits from 2009.
Ben’s image from 2009, “The image was taken on a windy day when a few good friends gathered on Blackheath to fly kites. We flew kites for hours. Experts, novices and children alike. Many laughs were had, many photos were taken. Amazing fun and gorgeous colours too.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
7. Moderate, becoming good in areas.
Best new discovery?
For 12 years I loved the Tube, then I cycled for a year and now I fucking hate it. Cycling around London is amazing. Quicker, cheaper and loads of fun.
What were you doing this time last year?
About to fly to Portland for Thanksgiving which is exactly what I’m about to do now (Be answered these questions on 26 November). I was also working on this.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Early on I’d stopped getting up early. Now I get up earlier.
What piece of work really stood out for you?
This by Matt Jones, there were lots of these around this year but this one has an intelligence, an elegance and an optimism not seen elsewhere:
Did you get Swine Flu?
Nope. I did the Swine Flu Skank
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
Miss: I won’t know for a while. Fwd: Newspaper Club launching.
- Swedish artist Ekta reconsiders simple geometric shapes
- Rob Bailey talks through creating over 40 posters for London Underground
- Costa Rican illustrator Adrian Mangel draws the modern American landscape
- Ellen van Engelen takes us on a trip with her psychedelic illustrations
- Swiss creative agency Raffinerie displays expertise in graphic and type design
- The It’s Nice That Podcast: Discussing the form and function of money
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know