As long time fans of Ian’s work and practice he was an obvious choice when it came to the first issue of the publication back in April. As well as writing a fantastic piece on Jimi Hendrix he also took part in the It’s Nice That talk series.
Ian’s image from 2009, “I recently received a surprise package from an old mate – John Steel, who had dropped off my radar for far too long. Seeing his new work put an excited grin on my face, the arch prince of cryptic messages had returned, visually back on track, and my world was full of positive possibilities because of it.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
Enjoying more chaos and yet more calm than usual / Late night and early morning travel on suburban commuter trains / Renewing old friendships / Crosby Connection with JB / Cinema Club with KC / Alex and Will / Eduardo Paolozzi and Ray Johnson at Raven Row / the legacy of Barney Bubbles / Jason Godfreys’ Bibliographic book / John Baldessari at Tate Modern / The Messenger Bros / Triology Tapes / Reference Library / The Hound blog / Tyler Askew blog and continuing support / The joy of discovering yet more music; New ( Intrusion / King Midas Sound / 2562 / Joy Orbison / Linkwood Family ) and Old; ( Pressure Sounds / Mary Lou Williams / Marjie Joseph / Nathan Davis / Gloria Scott / Pressure Sounds / Numero ) – But how can you ever catch up? / Callum’s music myspace / Kode 9 and Hyperdub / Boomkat / Sounds of The Universe record shop / Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide / Benj B’s Soulful Beats / Robert Glasper at the Queen Elizabeth Hall / Roger O’ Donnell’s Charlie Crow / Mick Jones Rock n’ Roll Library / Julian Temple’s ‘Oil City Confidential’ etc… So 9/9 for 2009.
Best new discovery?
Place: Crosby Connection, NYC. Artist: The re-emergence of John Steel (nee Stalin, nee Churchill). Thing: Yamato Rice Glue. Person: John Martyn / Gordon Burn R.I.P. Music: Suite for Ma Dukes / Carlos Nino & Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
The challenge, yet delight of collaborating with Riitta Ikonen.
What were you doing this time last year?
Listening / Watching / Reading / Deliberating / Dreaming… no real difference to what I’m doing now.
What broke? How did you fix it?
I’m not good at fixing, but I’m getting better at re-working…
What piece of work really stood out for you?
The astonishing colour palette in the work of Francis Bacon.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I will welcome new changes, whatever they are!
- Submit Saturdays: Planning and prototyping your website
- Danny Fox: the Cornish artist inspired by LA’s Skid Row
- Bring in the Bank Holiday weekend with this week's Best of the Web
- Daniel Britt animates the trials and tribulations of an existential crisis
- Badesaison - the Swiss design studio that can handle everything from Dada to music
- Illustrator Ana Benaroya embraces the “imperfections” in her playful depictions
- Sagmeister & Walsh rebrands fashion label Milly to reflect its "edgy" new personality
- Dominic Wilcox designs art exhibition for dogs (plus exclusive artist sketches)
- Jaemin Lee’s gloriously retro exhibition identities and poster designs
- James Jean’s phantasmagorical world of technicolour fever dreams
- The Refugee Nation Olympic flag was inspired by a lifejacket
- Things: the inspiring post that got us through the long hot summer nights of August