As long time fans of Ian’s work and practice he was an obvious choice when it came to the first issue of the publication back in April. As well as writing a fantastic piece on Jimi Hendrix he also took part in the It’s Nice That talk series.
Ian’s image from 2009, “I recently received a surprise package from an old mate – John Steel, who had dropped off my radar for far too long. Seeing his new work put an excited grin on my face, the arch prince of cryptic messages had returned, visually back on track, and my world was full of positive possibilities because of it.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
Enjoying more chaos and yet more calm than usual / Late night and early morning travel on suburban commuter trains / Renewing old friendships / Crosby Connection with JB / Cinema Club with KC / Alex and Will / Eduardo Paolozzi and Ray Johnson at Raven Row / the legacy of Barney Bubbles / Jason Godfreys’ Bibliographic book / John Baldessari at Tate Modern / The Messenger Bros / Triology Tapes / Reference Library / The Hound blog / Tyler Askew blog and continuing support / The joy of discovering yet more music; New ( Intrusion / King Midas Sound / 2562 / Joy Orbison / Linkwood Family ) and Old; ( Pressure Sounds / Mary Lou Williams / Marjie Joseph / Nathan Davis / Gloria Scott / Pressure Sounds / Numero ) – But how can you ever catch up? / Callum’s music myspace / Kode 9 and Hyperdub / Boomkat / Sounds of The Universe record shop / Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide / Benj B’s Soulful Beats / Robert Glasper at the Queen Elizabeth Hall / Roger O’ Donnell’s Charlie Crow / Mick Jones Rock n’ Roll Library / Julian Temple’s ‘Oil City Confidential’ etc… So 9/9 for 2009.
Best new discovery?
Place: Crosby Connection, NYC. Artist: The re-emergence of John Steel (nee Stalin, nee Churchill). Thing: Yamato Rice Glue. Person: John Martyn / Gordon Burn R.I.P. Music: Suite for Ma Dukes / Carlos Nino & Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
The challenge, yet delight of collaborating with Riitta Ikonen.
What were you doing this time last year?
Listening / Watching / Reading / Deliberating / Dreaming… no real difference to what I’m doing now.
What broke? How did you fix it?
I’m not good at fixing, but I’m getting better at re-working…
What piece of work really stood out for you?
The astonishing colour palette in the work of Francis Bacon.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I will welcome new changes, whatever they are!
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s