As long time fans of Ian’s work and practice he was an obvious choice when it came to the first issue of the publication back in April. As well as writing a fantastic piece on Jimi Hendrix he also took part in the It’s Nice That talk series.
Ian’s image from 2009, “I recently received a surprise package from an old mate – John Steel, who had dropped off my radar for far too long. Seeing his new work put an excited grin on my face, the arch prince of cryptic messages had returned, visually back on track, and my world was full of positive possibilities because of it.”
Mark out of 9 for 2009?
Enjoying more chaos and yet more calm than usual / Late night and early morning travel on suburban commuter trains / Renewing old friendships / Crosby Connection with JB / Cinema Club with KC / Alex and Will / Eduardo Paolozzi and Ray Johnson at Raven Row / the legacy of Barney Bubbles / Jason Godfreys’ Bibliographic book / John Baldessari at Tate Modern / The Messenger Bros / Triology Tapes / Reference Library / The Hound blog / Tyler Askew blog and continuing support / The joy of discovering yet more music; New ( Intrusion / King Midas Sound / 2562 / Joy Orbison / Linkwood Family ) and Old; ( Pressure Sounds / Mary Lou Williams / Marjie Joseph / Nathan Davis / Gloria Scott / Pressure Sounds / Numero ) – But how can you ever catch up? / Callum’s music myspace / Kode 9 and Hyperdub / Boomkat / Sounds of The Universe record shop / Gilles Peterson’s Worldwide / Benj B’s Soulful Beats / Robert Glasper at the Queen Elizabeth Hall / Roger O’ Donnell’s Charlie Crow / Mick Jones Rock n’ Roll Library / Julian Temple’s ‘Oil City Confidential’ etc… So 9/9 for 2009.
Best new discovery?
Place: Crosby Connection, NYC. Artist: The re-emergence of John Steel (nee Stalin, nee Churchill). Thing: Yamato Rice Glue. Person: John Martyn / Gordon Burn R.I.P. Music: Suite for Ma Dukes / Carlos Nino & Miguel Atwood-Ferguson
The challenge, yet delight of collaborating with Riitta Ikonen.
What were you doing this time last year?
Listening / Watching / Reading / Deliberating / Dreaming… no real difference to what I’m doing now.
What broke? How did you fix it?
I’m not good at fixing, but I’m getting better at re-working…
What piece of work really stood out for you?
The astonishing colour palette in the work of Francis Bacon.
Did you get Swine Flu?
What are you going to miss about 2009 and what are you looking forward to in 2010?
I will welcome new changes, whatever they are!
- Wrap up warm with this week's Best of the Web
- This is Jane: a charming photo series that displays the empowerment of women
- Brooklyn-based illustrator Aaron Fernandez’s fluorescent editorial commissions
- London-based designer Laura Jouan’s well-considered, monochrome portfolio
- Join Jonathan Barnbrook, Maisie Willoughby, Wallace Henning, Anna Lomax and Jess Bonham at Nicer Tuesdays December
- Legs 11: artist Alfie Kungu’s comically long-trousered figures
- Wes Anderson directs H&M Christmas advert starring Adrien Brody
- The New Look: Looking back at Roundel’s 1980s identity design for British Rail’s Railfreight
- Discussing cinema with Laura Marling on her directorial debut, Soothing
- London’s first crisp restaurant, Hipchips, launches with branding by Ragged Edge
- Richard Sandler’s street photography conveys the intricacies of city life
- A "stress opus" from cartoonist Nadine Redlich