The really beauty of collaboration lies when the partnership is one that crosses disciplines, stretches comfort zones and frightens habit. So, when Praline teamed up with The Model Shop, we were presented with a cauldron being stirred by an excellent set of designers and equally adept architectural model makers. The results are understandably broad, and include a new typeface, architectural models, a neon sign and most importantly one fantastic concept.
Below is a snippet of their interview from the If You Could Collaborate catalogue
Hello, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
The final piece is made of a few elements. A font inspired by building floor plates, which we called Floorplay; the physical scale model interpretation of some letters of this font, spelling the word ‘AVEC’ (French for ‘with’) and photographs of the models. The different perspectives bring out the collaborative aspect of the project and 26 letters will also be laser cut. The font will be used for all the text related to the project. There might also be a neon sign realised. These elements will be installed together as an exhibition and goes back to where we met, working on exhibitions.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
Hangovers after our meetings. We wanted to challenge ourselves into doing something for The Model Shop and not doing anything too ‘graphics’.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
Ryuchi Sakamoto & Alva Noto. Rogers & Renzo! Mireille Matthieu & Patrick Duffy. Miles Davis & Louis Malle. R2D2 & C3PO. Morrissey & Johnny Marr. Torville & Dean. Fish & Chips. Lomo con Queso. Morecambe & Wise. The combustion engine & wheels.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"