The really beauty of collaboration lies when the partnership is one that crosses disciplines, stretches comfort zones and frightens habit. So, when Praline teamed up with The Model Shop, we were presented with a cauldron being stirred by an excellent set of designers and equally adept architectural model makers. The results are understandably broad, and include a new typeface, architectural models, a neon sign and most importantly one fantastic concept.
Below is a snippet of their interview from the If You Could Collaborate catalogue
Hello, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
The final piece is made of a few elements. A font inspired by building floor plates, which we called Floorplay; the physical scale model interpretation of some letters of this font, spelling the word ‘AVEC’ (French for ‘with’) and photographs of the models. The different perspectives bring out the collaborative aspect of the project and 26 letters will also be laser cut. The font will be used for all the text related to the project. There might also be a neon sign realised. These elements will be installed together as an exhibition and goes back to where we met, working on exhibitions.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
Hangovers after our meetings. We wanted to challenge ourselves into doing something for The Model Shop and not doing anything too ‘graphics’.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
Ryuchi Sakamoto & Alva Noto. Rogers & Renzo! Mireille Matthieu & Patrick Duffy. Miles Davis & Louis Malle. R2D2 & C3PO. Morrissey & Johnny Marr. Torville & Dean. Fish & Chips. Lomo con Queso. Morecambe & Wise. The combustion engine & wheels.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting