The really beauty of collaboration lies when the partnership is one that crosses disciplines, stretches comfort zones and frightens habit. So, when Praline teamed up with The Model Shop, we were presented with a cauldron being stirred by an excellent set of designers and equally adept architectural model makers. The results are understandably broad, and include a new typeface, architectural models, a neon sign and most importantly one fantastic concept.
Below is a snippet of their interview from the If You Could Collaborate catalogue
Hello, can you tell us what you’ve produced for the show?
The final piece is made of a few elements. A font inspired by building floor plates, which we called Floorplay; the physical scale model interpretation of some letters of this font, spelling the word ‘AVEC’ (French for ‘with’) and photographs of the models. The different perspectives bring out the collaborative aspect of the project and 26 letters will also be laser cut. The font will be used for all the text related to the project. There might also be a neon sign realised. These elements will be installed together as an exhibition and goes back to where we met, working on exhibitions.
What were the biggest challenges you faced?
Hangovers after our meetings. We wanted to challenge ourselves into doing something for The Model Shop and not doing anything too ‘graphics’.
What’s your favourite collaboration of all time?
Ryuchi Sakamoto & Alva Noto. Rogers & Renzo! Mireille Matthieu & Patrick Duffy. Miles Davis & Louis Malle. R2D2 & C3PO. Morrissey & Johnny Marr. Torville & Dean. Fish & Chips. Lomo con Queso. Morecambe & Wise. The combustion engine & wheels.
To see the complete If You Could Collaborate feature, click here
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant