Last week I went to see Literary Death Match, an event where authors have a quick seven minute reading slot in which to show their writing and speaking prowess. One guy who stood out was Norwich’s John Osborne, a poet who’s sense of timing really lifted proceedings. Although not online as yet, we’ve got an exclusive extract from his book What if Men Burst in Wearing Balaclavas? – a poem about his ex-girlfriend using no vowels apart from the letter ‘e’. Hilarious.
We met when we were teens
she lent me her GCSE set texts.
Jenny’s freckled cheeks were pretty,
perfect teeth, jewelled belly, sexy legs.
The weekends seemed endless when we were seventeen,
Jenny’s excellent between the sheets, edgy
her PCV dress left me endlessly erect
she’d bend her knees
tenderly chew my bell end
She deserved better.
She rejected me, tells me she detested me
tells me she needed her eyes tested.
She left me empty, bereft.
Depressed, my CDs helped me:
Shed Seven, Sleeper, The Levellers, Gene,
Led Zep, Neneh Cherry, The The, R Kelly, Wet Wet Wet
Des’ree. Step by step my self esteem grew
then recently she tweeted me
‘Remember when we were seventeen
when we screwed by KFC then fled when we’d been seen by CCTV
let’s meet!’ she begged
‘Hmmm’ je pense
Jenny Green my sexy ex
relentless sex pest, zesty nymph
- Four illustrators have their works drawn by Joto at Here 2017
- David Lewandowski’s floppy rubber bodies take over the streets of Japan
- Ella Bucknall tackles the “boy’s club” of political cartooning in her new zine, Whip
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos