England made it and now face Germany in the knockout stages, again. Tension is building, nationwide, but the game’s not until Sunday afternoon, which means there’s a good day and a half to rifle through this week’s Things before kick-off…
12IN12 D&AD, Craig Oldham
In the third incarnation of 12IN12, Craig Oldham offers some extremely valuable pieces of advice to the “thousands of design graduates looking for that elusive first job.” We get a lot of newspapers through the post, but this one’s different. It’s yellow, and the content’s more than worth a look.
Human Billboard Room Service Magazine
You can buy people on the internet. Or, more specifically, you can pay money to have whatever you like hand-drawn onto their skin. A forehead, for example, costs as little as $3.75. A beer-belly is more, but, then again, it’s bigger. Room Service Magazine bought as many body parts they could find on ebay, and dedicated their first issue to the results.
The Mays Varsity Publications
Do Oxbridge students read the Twilight series? Probably, although I doubt they admit it, at least not without irony. Do they themselves create literary fiction, poetry and visual essays fit for publication? They do, a lot of them. And are those stories / poems / photographs collated (impeccably) within The Mays? They are.
Science Poems OK Do, Åh
It’s difficult to know exactly what’s going on here, because there’s so much to take in, all of it insanely interesting. Here is some stuff from the preface: “The Science Poems book and exhibition approach science from an artistic perspective, reflecting on psychological and philosophical thoughts without necessarily considering conventional constraints or scientific objectives.” Excellent.
Gym Class Magazine #06
Gym Class has published its 6th issue. Content from The Magazine Fanboy Issue includes an admiration of Julianne Moore, a breakdown of “cool” things to do in Berlin, and a profile of Penny Martin, editor in chief of The Gentlewoman. It’s also worth noting that the magazine has upgraded, and is now printed on a stock so shiny you can fix your hair in it.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s