England made it and now face Germany in the knockout stages, again. Tension is building, nationwide, but the game’s not until Sunday afternoon, which means there’s a good day and a half to rifle through this week’s Things before kick-off…
12IN12 D&AD, Craig Oldham
In the third incarnation of 12IN12, Craig Oldham offers some extremely valuable pieces of advice to the “thousands of design graduates looking for that elusive first job.” We get a lot of newspapers through the post, but this one’s different. It’s yellow, and the content’s more than worth a look.
Human Billboard Room Service Magazine
You can buy people on the internet. Or, more specifically, you can pay money to have whatever you like hand-drawn onto their skin. A forehead, for example, costs as little as $3.75. A beer-belly is more, but, then again, it’s bigger. Room Service Magazine bought as many body parts they could find on ebay, and dedicated their first issue to the results.
The Mays Varsity Publications
Do Oxbridge students read the Twilight series? Probably, although I doubt they admit it, at least not without irony. Do they themselves create literary fiction, poetry and visual essays fit for publication? They do, a lot of them. And are those stories / poems / photographs collated (impeccably) within The Mays? They are.
Science Poems OK Do, Åh
It’s difficult to know exactly what’s going on here, because there’s so much to take in, all of it insanely interesting. Here is some stuff from the preface: “The Science Poems book and exhibition approach science from an artistic perspective, reflecting on psychological and philosophical thoughts without necessarily considering conventional constraints or scientific objectives.” Excellent.
Gym Class Magazine #06
Gym Class has published its 6th issue. Content from The Magazine Fanboy Issue includes an admiration of Julianne Moore, a breakdown of “cool” things to do in Berlin, and a profile of Penny Martin, editor in chief of The Gentlewoman. It’s also worth noting that the magazine has upgraded, and is now printed on a stock so shiny you can fix your hair in it.
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs