Sweet pile of things! To tenuously pluck a theme from nowhere I’d say that this week was travel flavoured and shaped like a t-shirt. Amongst the items that clearly don’t meet that description are My Nose Smells Funny from illustrator Andy Smith, Art Licks from the people who intriguingly promise “a new consciousness” as well as Raus now in its 22nd reincarnation. But keep reading because there is more, more, more in what we could just refer to as a (don’t call it a bumper edition) bumper edition.
Raus Hugo de Haas van Dorsser
With a tagline that roughly translates as “Raus magazine is not genius. That is the genius of Raus” coupled with my non-existent talent for Dutch, I have spent much time enjoying an excellently laid out piece of print that has a real knack for image placement and witty design details.
Lovers Town package Lovers Town
A bold little number, this package came with a great looking tee and postcards from Lovers Town. The small book is my favourite, full of visual kits and puns and a great colour scheme.
Der Baum Erik van der Weijde
The wrap around cover is a taster for some quality photography, design and concept by Erik van der Weijde. The content has a definite tone of intrigue – each plate has a cultural significance that contradicts its own bleak landscape. Seriously good or good and serious, both I think.
My Nose Smells Funny Andy Smith
… and “my hair needs cutting”. Just two comments from a series of ailments and issues that Andy Smith’s animal characters seem to be experiencing. Very good, very well printed, very uncanny quotes that once I’d finished laughing, made me think I should stop saying whatever comes into my head if I think the studio is too quiet… A very deep book.
The School of Poetic Activities – Sunday’s Fantasy Yeji Yun
What I was going to say was “this is a catalogue about the school ’Sunday’s Fantasy’. This is an esoteric school where you can learn unique poetic activities with the aim of finding cosmic wonder” but as it turns out, Yeji Yun wrote just that in the cover of this lovingly illustrated book.
Art Licks Holly Willats
This is the very first issue of the free resource (freesource) for promoting the emerging arts, Artlicks.com. Covering an incredible spectrum of galleries, curators and of course, artists with the same integrity as the site, issue one boasts a contextual as well as original perspective on the doings and thinkings of art in the real world.
Susie Wright package Susie Wright
This collection of zines and one large scale newsprint book are really nicely presented and the drawings themselves are a real architectural wonder. But Susie Wright not only being an most excellent drawer is probably the best person to have within reach when the festive season rolls round, so beautiful was our package wrapped.
Threadless Jake Nickell
Designed by A-side and full of the creme of Threadless’ t-shirt collection, this publication in honour of their 10 year anniversary is a celebration of the community and creatives that made the site such a success. It’s great to read something where the people that made it clearly love what they’re doing.
Mode of Transformation gfsmith
Great cover to this bike homage book. Every cog and spoke is embossed and the quality of print really is ace (so it should be having been commissioned for GFSmith) but it’s the bikes I’m here for and I’m not disappointed. Nice archive images and close ups on very pleasing geometry – full bleed too.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s