Thought for the week comes courtesy of Bruce one-inch-punch Lee, born this day 70 years ago – ‘Take Things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick’. Thanks Bruce. And thanks Ben Rayner, Ned Beauman, Landfill, Linus Kraemer, AND Journal and Gestalten. A quality line up. Just remember, ‘the less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be’.
Cylinders Linus Kraemer
Cylinders, relatively stacked in their circular-ness! A really nice letter pressed poster with a bit of weight and the illustrations themselves are most pleasing in their specificness. E.g. A spare tyre for a volvo 440 is more proportionate to an Egg McMuffin egg then a tea light, but it’s pretty close.
The Dolphins of Lagos Ned Beauman
I think this is a first for Landfill Editions, or it could just be the first time they’ve screen printed onto mirror board, anyroad, this is a short story printed by them and written by the ever-good Ned Beauman. Nice off brown/gold/red riso type too. Some key words from the story itself – computer games – pigdin English – semi-submersible – turin shroud.
Power Ballards Ben Rayner
Dogs wear matching coats, woman wears creepy animal print close to her skin, man has fat man tattooed on thigh, white rodent scowls out of pile of clothes, guy eats firework, demonstration of infinite possibilities of a condom, cat prefers to be carried in a carrier bag. My descriptions will never do justice to the photographs in this book so you should probably just buy it, or visit his site then buy it.
AND Journal Ben Longden and Emma Talbot
It is rare to read a journal in it’s first edition that appears so succinct with it’s concept and AND Journal in a series of statements that reflect, explore, question and stimulate statements concerning the nature and influence of graphic design does just that. It’s made by students that know what they’re talking about and who to talk too. Highlights include a record collection, thematically chosen as inspriring music to make work to, inspiring work to make music about and inspiring work on inspiring music covers.
The Tender Spot Gestalten
‘The first comprehensive monograph on Mario Lombardo, one of Germany’s most relevant and internationally renowned graphic designers’ – says them. ‘Mentally good. An intellegent spectrum of design that crosses all of the significant culture institutions of music, art, architecture, fashion with such intensity and polish that there is a genuine feeling of importance and inevitable classicness to its content’ – says we.
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission, Kick over the statues
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations