Thought for the week comes courtesy of Bruce one-inch-punch Lee, born this day 70 years ago – ‘Take Things as they are. Punch when you have to punch. Kick when you have to kick’. Thanks Bruce. And thanks Ben Rayner, Ned Beauman, Landfill, Linus Kraemer, AND Journal and Gestalten. A quality line up. Just remember, ‘the less effort, the faster and more powerful you will be’.
Cylinders Linus Kraemer
Cylinders, relatively stacked in their circular-ness! A really nice letter pressed poster with a bit of weight and the illustrations themselves are most pleasing in their specificness. E.g. A spare tyre for a volvo 440 is more proportionate to an Egg McMuffin egg then a tea light, but it’s pretty close.
The Dolphins of Lagos Ned Beauman
I think this is a first for Landfill Editions, or it could just be the first time they’ve screen printed onto mirror board, anyroad, this is a short story printed by them and written by the ever-good Ned Beauman. Nice off brown/gold/red riso type too. Some key words from the story itself – computer games – pigdin English – semi-submersible – turin shroud.
Power Ballards Ben Rayner
Dogs wear matching coats, woman wears creepy animal print close to her skin, man has fat man tattooed on thigh, white rodent scowls out of pile of clothes, guy eats firework, demonstration of infinite possibilities of a condom, cat prefers to be carried in a carrier bag. My descriptions will never do justice to the photographs in this book so you should probably just buy it, or visit his site then buy it.
AND Journal Ben Longden and Emma Talbot
It is rare to read a journal in it’s first edition that appears so succinct with it’s concept and AND Journal in a series of statements that reflect, explore, question and stimulate statements concerning the nature and influence of graphic design does just that. It’s made by students that know what they’re talking about and who to talk too. Highlights include a record collection, thematically chosen as inspriring music to make work to, inspiring work to make music about and inspiring work on inspiring music covers.
The Tender Spot Gestalten
‘The first comprehensive monograph on Mario Lombardo, one of Germany’s most relevant and internationally renowned graphic designers’ – says them. ‘Mentally good. An intellegent spectrum of design that crosses all of the significant culture institutions of music, art, architecture, fashion with such intensity and polish that there is a genuine feeling of importance and inevitable classicness to its content’ – says we.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s