This week we have Miami resident and paper-wizard Jen Stark posting on the blog about her first-hand experience of last week’s Art Basel. So, over to Jen…
“Every year Art Basel Miami brings some of the best artwork to town for one chaotic week. It happens each year, and seems to get bigger and better as the years go by. Since Basel Miami’s beginning in 2001, other satellite fairs and events have been popping up and gaining momentum.”
“A few of my favorite fairs are: Basel (convention center), SCOPE, NADA and PULSE. There are things happening at all times of the day and night, there is barely enough time to sleep. Between finishing and hanging my own sculptures in SCOPE art fair (with Carol Jazzar Gallery), and partying with good out-of-town friends all week, finally my immune system has given in on the last day, and I have the Basel cold as I write this.
“Throughout the week the streets are clogged with traffic, the food trucks are out, and there are multiple art fairs and parties to attend. Some of my favorite music events were seeing LCD Soundsystem perform live at the MOCA L.A. party on South Beach and watching N.E.R.D performing at FriendsWithYou’s amazing inflatable world. Lots of famous people come to town and there are many pretentious guest lists to try to get on, but if that fails, sneak in through the back like us!
“Over the next week I’ll be posting my personal highlights of some of my favorite artwork from this year’s show, from a Miami artist’s perspective.”
- Like a milder version of Marmite, it’s Best of the Web!
- Meet graphic designer Tor Weibull and his tubular metal typography
- Glasgow watch company Paulin launch new Art Deco-inspired typeface
- Samuel Douek on his pop-up queer art space CAMPerVAN at Tate Modern
- Agnese Morganti celebrates the sparkle and community of Italy’s majorettes
- Friday Mixtape: Visions Festival make us a mix of eclectic acts from its line up
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Amsterdam-based photographer Lois Cohen’s "absurd" portraits
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Colette, the trailblazer: creatives pay tribute to the iconic Parisian store and its legacy
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels