This week we have Miami resident and paper-wizard Jen Stark posting on the blog about her first-hand experience of last week’s Art Basel. So, over to Jen…
“Every year Art Basel Miami brings some of the best artwork to town for one chaotic week. It happens each year, and seems to get bigger and better as the years go by. Since Basel Miami’s beginning in 2001, other satellite fairs and events have been popping up and gaining momentum.”
“A few of my favorite fairs are: Basel (convention center), SCOPE, NADA and PULSE. There are things happening at all times of the day and night, there is barely enough time to sleep. Between finishing and hanging my own sculptures in SCOPE art fair (with Carol Jazzar Gallery), and partying with good out-of-town friends all week, finally my immune system has given in on the last day, and I have the Basel cold as I write this.
“Throughout the week the streets are clogged with traffic, the food trucks are out, and there are multiple art fairs and parties to attend. Some of my favorite music events were seeing LCD Soundsystem perform live at the MOCA L.A. party on South Beach and watching N.E.R.D performing at FriendsWithYou’s amazing inflatable world. Lots of famous people come to town and there are many pretentious guest lists to try to get on, but if that fails, sneak in through the back like us!
“Over the next week I’ll be posting my personal highlights of some of my favorite artwork from this year’s show, from a Miami artist’s perspective.”
- Enter your work for the chance to be an It’s Nice That Graduate of 2016!
- Kyle Weeks’ photos portray the traditional and contemporary identity of the Himba people
- Ace & Tate commissions Hanna Putz to launch its Creative Fund
- Smart geometry-led identity for east London venue Brilliant Corners by Studio Remote
- Superb designs by Bureau Mirko Borsche for Tush magazine
- Artist Mona Hatoum electrifies the senses in her first retrospective at the Tate Modern
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs