This week we have Miami resident and paper-wizard Jen Stark posting on the blog about her first-hand experience of last week’s Art Basel. So, over to Jen…
“Every year Art Basel Miami brings some of the best artwork to town for one chaotic week. It happens each year, and seems to get bigger and better as the years go by. Since Basel Miami’s beginning in 2001, other satellite fairs and events have been popping up and gaining momentum.”
“A few of my favorite fairs are: Basel (convention center), SCOPE, NADA and PULSE. There are things happening at all times of the day and night, there is barely enough time to sleep. Between finishing and hanging my own sculptures in SCOPE art fair (with Carol Jazzar Gallery), and partying with good out-of-town friends all week, finally my immune system has given in on the last day, and I have the Basel cold as I write this.
“Throughout the week the streets are clogged with traffic, the food trucks are out, and there are multiple art fairs and parties to attend. Some of my favorite music events were seeing LCD Soundsystem perform live at the MOCA L.A. party on South Beach and watching N.E.R.D performing at FriendsWithYou’s amazing inflatable world. Lots of famous people come to town and there are many pretentious guest lists to try to get on, but if that fails, sneak in through the back like us!
“Over the next week I’ll be posting my personal highlights of some of my favorite artwork from this year’s show, from a Miami artist’s perspective.”
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again