We interviewed Maisie for our third publication, described her as being a “canny thinker and astute social commentator,” which is true. Her work often revolves around famous paintings and is both consistently relevant and always surprising. And there’s more: she recently presented her first solo show, House of Fake, at the Sarah Myerscough Gallery. See it here if you missed it.
Maisie’s image of the year makes sense when you read the questions.
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
I would say 9 so far.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Me, and I’m still working on it but a holiday would help.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
It’s hard to choose one as I saw some great shows: ‘Sacred Made Real’ and ‘Close Examination: Fakes, Mistakes & Discoveries’ at the National Gallery. Francis Alÿs at the Tate was great, and I had the privilege of going to see ‘Caravaggio: The Final Years’ in Rome – getting that many Caravaggio’s in one place probably wont happen again for a while.
What was your favourite day of the year?
Very soppily, 17th of January. It was the birth of my boy.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
The opening of my solo show in November and wondering if it had been worth the money, sweat and tears. Still not sure.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Tricky question. I use it far too often to remember.
Best man/woman of the year?
Men of the year probably have to be the Chilean miners trapped in a mine for 64 days… Quite an incredible test of endurance.
Your finest moment?
Popping out another human being after two and a half days in labour probably won’t be topped in a while.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
A second-hand Nikon FM2. Well, I bought it but gave it to someone. I do have the pleasure of taking snaps with it every so often. It reminds you to slow down when taking picture.
What would you like to say to 2010?
Nice one, cheerio…
- Submit Saturdays: Take advantage of your website to show varied work as a creative collective
- Parisian upstarts Ill-Studio give L’Officiel magazine new life
- Knock knock. Who's there? It's Best of the Web!
- William Knight's socially conscious portfolio of graphic design
- Alan Fears’ papier mâché heads are a humorous portrait of ourselves
- The quiet humour of illustrator Elena Xausa
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity