It surprises us when people say they’re not familiar with Jochen Gerner’s work. Not because we featured him in our magazine’s third issue, but because we feel everybody – everybody! – should be aware of/completely in love with what this guy does. Long may he ‘wow’ us with ridiculous talent.
Jochen’s image of the year: “I took this picture last summer in the Pyrenees – a little shepherd’s house in a place called Montagne Verte. I loved the corrugated iron roof, the white marks like melted sugar. And the waving roof completely flattens the mountain landscape in the background, as if it’s a wallpaper in a French bar. This photo could represent my year: a BMX track with lots of detours.”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
I would say 8/10. A lot of very interesting proposals. But I was overwhelmed by the unexpected size of some of these works. The length of the roads are often longer than expected.
What broke? How did you fix it?
My son broke the brightness of my computer. Now I can light the Stade de France with my own screen. I have not managed to fix it. I had to adjust the brightness to minimum. And today I think I need new glasses.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
The architectures of Herzog & de Meuron in Basel (VitraHaus and Schaulager).
What was your favourite day of the year?
An ordinary day drawing in my studio.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
When my foot hit a field of sea urchins during a surfing experience on the Basque coast.
Best Google image search of 2010?
Looking for a collection of world racetracks to design an alphabet from the forms of these specific roads.
Best man/woman of the year?
Sigmar Polke (1941-2010).
Your finest moment?
When I opened the cardboard box with my new books.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
A drawing of a burning house by the Dutch artist Marcel Van Eeden.
What would you like to say to 2010?
Here is what looks like a fortieth year…
- Things glorious things! The best of the postman's offerings we received this September
- Founder of It’s Nice That Will Hudson announces the launch of new venture Lecture in Progress on Kickstarter
- Dan Emmerson shoots #bikelife in the Welsh valleys
- Dive into Adam Higton's collages via his psychedelic new album and video
- Bill Baird's ephemeral online album is completely unique for every listener
- Ewen Spencer on new commission "Kick over the statues"
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Trump protest pins by Sagmeister & Walsh, Hort, Olimpia Zagnoli and more
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- Kalen Hollomon's collages mix sex with fortune cookies
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations