Mike’s image of the year: “This year has seen the arrival of lots of ‘new things’ – a new son, a new company, a new studio. Although a fantastically exciting year, it’s also been an incredibly busy one and balancing a growing company with a growing family has been an interesting challenge. Here’s how the two sometimes mix – we were working over the weekend on a pitch and little Edie came into the studio to give a helping hand…”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
A solid 8 – but I’m hoping the remaining month or so will bring it nicely up to a 9. I think it’d be almost impossible to give any year a 10 – always leave a little room for improvement.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Many things broke this year – bikes, cameras, computers, the boiler, furniture, keys, windows, shelves, doors… And, due to my below par DIY skills, most remain in various stages of disrepair.
What was the best thing you saw this year?
My fantastic wife giving birth to my son, Max. (Although the Fantastic Mr. Fox was also compelling viewing).
What was your favourite day of the year?
His birthday, 19th February 2010.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Gripping onto the side of a volcano at 4.30am (in pitch black, on our hands and knees) at 2360 ft as 80mph winds whipped up the gorge from the Atlantic Ocean kicking up a serious sandstorm as we searched for remains of our smashed camera equipment. Great fun!
Best Google image search of 2010?
Can’t remember what I was searching for but an image of Michael Jackson (circa Thriller) swigging from a bottle of Vodka with a midget perched on each knee seems to have lodged in my head…
Best man/woman of the year?
Max / Gooser
Your finest moment?
Finding a great team of people when setting up Art & Graft.
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
My new 2011 calender.
What would you like to say to 2010?
Thankyou 2010, I’ll think of you often..
- Submit Saturdays: First impressions and Cover Pages
- A futuristic framework for the retrospective of pioneering “total design” advocate Ove Arup
- Cool off with this week's Best of the Web and who to follow on social media
- Elena Éper's spirited illustrations to make you smile and squirm
- Pencil Bandit and Grey London produce quirky branded stings for E4
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Chris (Simpsons Artist)'s surreal but accurate illustrations of creative jobs
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Photographer Adrienne Salinger’s series of teenage bedrooms from the 90s
- Is it ever OK to work for free?