We’re not sure how to talk about what Keetra Dean Dixon does. She illustrates; writes (she wrote an intimidatingly articulate piece for the third issue of our magazine); and creates ‘fickle banners’ complete with zips. But perhaps it doesn’t matter that we don’t know what she does, exactly, so long as she keeps doing it.
Keetra’s image of the year: "Excerpt from the Divided series; Banners for a fickle will. May your 2011 be sans zippers (IDEAL)!”
Mark out of 10 for 2010?
7.7, not sure why. Actually that might be a little generous, but if I am generous while judging 2010, maybe 2011 will be kind.
What broke? How did you fix it?
Several things. Duct tape of course!
What was the best thing you saw this year?
A peak at my home base, Eagle River, Alaska, via Skype after a bout of homesickness. Or that demo of laminar flow!
What was your favourite day of the year?
A long anticipated return to NYC complete with puppy cuddles and phenomenal take away.
Most dangerous/scariest moment?
Driving for the first time in 5 years.
Best Google image search of 2010?
It’s a tie between Babydoll sheep & unusual cauliflower (seeking romanesco cauliflower).
Best man/woman of the year?
Juniper Aliya Tichenor.
Your finest moment?
14 hours of uninterrupted sleep. High achievement for an insomniac!
If you could only take one thing that you bought in 2010 into 2011, what would it be?
My sweet little laptop.
What would you like to say to 2010?
- Submit Saturdays: eggs, gifs and monochromatic illustration from Illustrator Jocelyn Tsaih
- Boot Boyz Biz: promoting community, not commodity
- Waving goodbye to July with our weekly Best of the Web
- The classical and the crude combine to represent the multiple facets of The Arab City
- Parquet Courts’ Andrew Savage on the interchanging influence of art and music
- Thee Drinkers: New exhibition conveys the joys and despair of having a few too many
- Benedict Redgrove’s beautifully hypnotic film about how a tennis ball is created
- Tommy Cash subverts the tropes of rap videos with a fleshy celebration of the human body (NSFW)
- Ian Davis’ picturesque paintings of bureaucratic dystopia
- Is it ever OK to work for free?
- Pentagram unveils refresh of Mastercard’s brand mark and identity
- Peter Saville and Tate Design Studio create beer can artwork for Switch House pale ale