Adam graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 2004 and went on to complete his masters at the Royal College of Art in 2006. Since then he’s been working mostly on commissioned illustration and his own self-initiated projects and has the pleasure of sharing a studio in London with among others the brilliant Sam Winston and Tom Gauld. Pictured is his piece for the new Conran Hotel in London and I asked him to tell me a little more about it…
“The project was a commission from Conran who have opened a hotel in an old Victorian warehouse on Boundary street in Shoreditch. The idea was to create a floor to ceiling artwork in the lifts that depicted an epic world of ‘boundaries’ with a multitude of scenarios – so that no matter how many times you travel in the lift you can never see everything. The artwork is drawn by hand with fine line pen then digitally pieced together.”
Adam’s sprawling piece is part of a collection of over 50 artists in the building including photographers, graphic designers and print makers. Much of it comes from the collections of Terence and Vicki Conran and other items purchased from an RCA show.
“It was quite a lot of work for such a small space, but I kind of feel lifts are often ignored as potential spaces for artwork and hopefully people get a nice surprise when they enter this one!” It’s really worth popping in next time you’re in east London, and for once you might not mind waiting for the lift…
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s