Adam graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 2004 and went on to complete his masters at the Royal College of Art in 2006. Since then he’s been working mostly on commissioned illustration and his own self-initiated projects and has the pleasure of sharing a studio in London with among others the brilliant Sam Winston and Tom Gauld. Pictured is his piece for the new Conran Hotel in London and I asked him to tell me a little more about it…
“The project was a commission from Conran who have opened a hotel in an old Victorian warehouse on Boundary street in Shoreditch. The idea was to create a floor to ceiling artwork in the lifts that depicted an epic world of ‘boundaries’ with a multitude of scenarios – so that no matter how many times you travel in the lift you can never see everything. The artwork is drawn by hand with fine line pen then digitally pieced together.”
Adam’s sprawling piece is part of a collection of over 50 artists in the building including photographers, graphic designers and print makers. Much of it comes from the collections of Terence and Vicki Conran and other items purchased from an RCA show.
“It was quite a lot of work for such a small space, but I kind of feel lifts are often ignored as potential spaces for artwork and hopefully people get a nice surprise when they enter this one!” It’s really worth popping in next time you’re in east London, and for once you might not mind waiting for the lift…
- Jonathan Barnbrook talks us through designing David Bowie's new album artwork
- A magazine that tells stories of life, from everywhere and anywhere
- Effortlessly sleek art direction from Paris-based Romain Lenancker
- New York's Meatpacking district rebranded by Base Design to highlight area’s “contrasts”
- Being creative and looking at art: what can it do for mental health?
- Impossible perspectives and block-like figures in Mernet Larsen’s paintings
- Should illustrators be treated like designers?
- Why “cool” stunts creativity: one agency offers its opinion
- Fresh, vibrant poster work from South Korean designer Soojin Lee
- Pentagram’s Emily Oberman brands Snoop Dogg’s new line of weed products
- How do you redesign Kinfolk? What does graphic designing for Wes Anderson involve? Can drawing get you girls?
- Inspire and being inspired: graphic designers who teach