Adam graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 2004 and went on to complete his masters at the Royal College of Art in 2006. Since then he’s been working mostly on commissioned illustration and his own self-initiated projects and has the pleasure of sharing a studio in London with among others the brilliant Sam Winston and Tom Gauld. Pictured is his piece for the new Conran Hotel in London and I asked him to tell me a little more about it…
“The project was a commission from Conran who have opened a hotel in an old Victorian warehouse on Boundary street in Shoreditch. The idea was to create a floor to ceiling artwork in the lifts that depicted an epic world of ‘boundaries’ with a multitude of scenarios – so that no matter how many times you travel in the lift you can never see everything. The artwork is drawn by hand with fine line pen then digitally pieced together.”
Adam’s sprawling piece is part of a collection of over 50 artists in the building including photographers, graphic designers and print makers. Much of it comes from the collections of Terence and Vicki Conran and other items purchased from an RCA show.
“It was quite a lot of work for such a small space, but I kind of feel lifts are often ignored as potential spaces for artwork and hopefully people get a nice surprise when they enter this one!” It’s really worth popping in next time you’re in east London, and for once you might not mind waiting for the lift…
- Submit Saturdays: Tips for Social Media
- New Originals: introducing the London Rollergirls
- The best things on the internet, readers' comments and who to follow on social media
- Our A-Z Guide to the UK's 2016 Graduate Shows
- LGBT in advertising: “What we need now is bravery"
- Images packed with life, leather and charm in Bex Day's new series for Pylot
- The new Sagmeister & Walsh website has a live feed from a snake enclosure and a new naked photo (NSFW)
- The Co-op returns to its old “clover leaf” logo from the 1960s
- Sexual, surreal and disturbing: the weird work of super-skilled Claudia Maté
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Anna Ginsburg explores sex and female orgasms in this hilarious animation (NSFW)
- Ace new Laura Callaghan work calls BS on the idea that we can be "whatever we want to be"