Adam graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 2004 and went on to complete his masters at the Royal College of Art in 2006. Since then he’s been working mostly on commissioned illustration and his own self-initiated projects and has the pleasure of sharing a studio in London with among others the brilliant Sam Winston and Tom Gauld. Pictured is his piece for the new Conran Hotel in London and I asked him to tell me a little more about it…
“The project was a commission from Conran who have opened a hotel in an old Victorian warehouse on Boundary street in Shoreditch. The idea was to create a floor to ceiling artwork in the lifts that depicted an epic world of ‘boundaries’ with a multitude of scenarios – so that no matter how many times you travel in the lift you can never see everything. The artwork is drawn by hand with fine line pen then digitally pieced together.”
Adam’s sprawling piece is part of a collection of over 50 artists in the building including photographers, graphic designers and print makers. Much of it comes from the collections of Terence and Vicki Conran and other items purchased from an RCA show.
“It was quite a lot of work for such a small space, but I kind of feel lifts are often ignored as potential spaces for artwork and hopefully people get a nice surprise when they enter this one!” It’s really worth popping in next time you’re in east London, and for once you might not mind waiting for the lift…
- Cool links, mag love and who to follow – it's Best of the Web!
- Superb updates from plus mûrs showcase slick design and 90s net-art influences
- Mattress Men: a new film tells the tale of Dublin's local hero Mattress Mick
- Baptiste Virot gives us summer vibes with his pop art-inspired illustrations
- Build and the Nike brand team creates bold branding for Nike’s Track and Field line
- Marco Onofri tackles the topic of internet lust in The Followers (NSFW)
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- David Hockney reveals what life is like in his Los Angeles studio
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs