Adam graduated from Edinburgh College of Art in 2004 and went on to complete his masters at the Royal College of Art in 2006. Since then he’s been working mostly on commissioned illustration and his own self-initiated projects and has the pleasure of sharing a studio in London with among others the brilliant Sam Winston and Tom Gauld. Pictured is his piece for the new Conran Hotel in London and I asked him to tell me a little more about it…
“The project was a commission from Conran who have opened a hotel in an old Victorian warehouse on Boundary street in Shoreditch. The idea was to create a floor to ceiling artwork in the lifts that depicted an epic world of ‘boundaries’ with a multitude of scenarios – so that no matter how many times you travel in the lift you can never see everything. The artwork is drawn by hand with fine line pen then digitally pieced together.”
Adam’s sprawling piece is part of a collection of over 50 artists in the building including photographers, graphic designers and print makers. Much of it comes from the collections of Terence and Vicki Conran and other items purchased from an RCA show.
“It was quite a lot of work for such a small space, but I kind of feel lifts are often ignored as potential spaces for artwork and hopefully people get a nice surprise when they enter this one!” It’s really worth popping in next time you’re in east London, and for once you might not mind waiting for the lift…
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant