Originally guest posted by With Associates
Continued understanding. Day 2: Formats. Creativity – Good. Innovation – Nice. Originality – Sweet. There are countless facets to this realm we call Design and the ability it has to continually surprise never ceases to amaze. But as time passes and ideas come and go, a certain theme is always left. On a scientific level it’s like chaos theory. From a technical perspective it’s more a design pattern . But at the base, it’s a good old fashioned format like the A series, or Helvetica, or even a t-shirt, or Polaroid film, or Munnys and Dunnys and Bears! Oh, my! To formats then. Systems and platforms that judge us all equally. Boundaries within which originality can be proven. Look out for them and protect them with your lives, because as a creative, they are your livelihood.
- Best of the Web is here, and so is the weekend!
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- Friday Mixtape: Legendary record label, 4AD
- Risograph photograph journal, This is the Same Ocean, returns with a sixth issue
- Illustrator Gizem Vural impresses us with attention-grabbing personal work and commissions
- Colophon Foundry re-releases its road-sign inspired typeface, Montefiore, with new specimen
- Jon Burgerman on his utterly brilliant Instagram experiments
- The photos Juergen Teller took while waiting for Rihanna
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Meet Berlin-based studio Büro Bum Bum
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again