This week we’re hitting the Monday morning boo-hoos where it hurts and with that in mind we’ve got Angus Montgomery, editor of Design Week; journalist, thinker and visual fish pun fan. Over to you Angus…
What’s the best way of getting over Monday morning blues?
Lots and lots of coffee. And a cinnamon bun from Fabrique Bakery (my current obsession).
What song will you be listening to most this week?
This week I’ll be mostly listening to the sound of construction work as our office is being ‘refurbished’. If I can hear it over the drilling though, I’ll be listening to Heartbreaks + Setbacks by Thundercat.
What was the best thing you read this morning?
An email from a friend with a picture of a giant fish and the maxim “Carp Diem.”
Send us a picture of something you’ll use a lot this week
I cycle in from Walthamstow each day and in the evenings I ride up the River Lea to look at the swans, otters, and the occasional illegal rave on Tottenham Marshes.
If you could have a midweek night out with anyone, doing anything what would it be?
My colleague Emily is off to Helsinki on a work trip this week. Helsinki is incredible so I wouldn’t mind going over with her (last time I went we had dinner in a pop-up restaurant down a mine-shaft). I’m also excited about going with my girlfriend to see the new Alan Partridge movie.
What do you hope to have achieved come Friday?
Get down to number 12 on my to-do list (currently on number three).
- Brooklyn-based Jyan Ku’s naive pastel works are oddly charming
- Jules de Balincourt’s vivid paintings of public spaces play with reality
- Harry Israelson photographs a renaissance fair in sunny California
- Pentagram’s Domenic Lippa designs the inaugural issue of YES & NO Magazine
- Introducing graphic designer Moonsick Gang
- “Non-league football is our punk rock” – Alex Brown’s work for Eastbourne Town FC
- Animator and director James Curran’s amusing 30-day Gifathon project in Tokyo
- Photographer Sophie Mayanne’s new personal project celebrates imperfection (NSFW)
- Animator Saiman Chow’s trippy idents for Adult Swim’s Rick and Morty
- The daily grind: Louis Quail’s photographs of fascinatingly mundane offices
- "Before I was a graphic designer I had nearly no idea what one was": meet Austin Redman
- Matthew Raw: the east London artist making clay great again