This week we’re hitting the Monday morning boo-hoos where it hurts and with that in mind we’ve got Angus Montgomery, editor of Design Week; journalist, thinker and visual fish pun fan. Over to you Angus…
What’s the best way of getting over Monday morning blues?
Lots and lots of coffee. And a cinnamon bun from Fabrique Bakery (my current obsession).
What song will you be listening to most this week?
This week I’ll be mostly listening to the sound of construction work as our office is being ‘refurbished’. If I can hear it over the drilling though, I’ll be listening to Heartbreaks + Setbacks by Thundercat.
What was the best thing you read this morning?
An email from a friend with a picture of a giant fish and the maxim “Carp Diem.”
Send us a picture of something you’ll use a lot this week
I cycle in from Walthamstow each day and in the evenings I ride up the River Lea to look at the swans, otters, and the occasional illegal rave on Tottenham Marshes.
If you could have a midweek night out with anyone, doing anything what would it be?
My colleague Emily is off to Helsinki on a work trip this week. Helsinki is incredible so I wouldn’t mind going over with her (last time I went we had dinner in a pop-up restaurant down a mine-shaft). I’m also excited about going with my girlfriend to see the new Alan Partridge movie.
What do you hope to have achieved come Friday?
Get down to number 12 on my to-do list (currently on number three).
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label