Sticking two fingers up to Monday morning on this cold, grey almost amusingly stereotypical November day we are thrilled to have Steve Watson, founder and curator of Stack magazines which celebrates the best independent publications the world has to offer. Steve’s a busy man but he found time to share his hopes and plans for the week ahead. Over to you sir…
What’s the best way of getting over Monday morning blues?
This morning it was with a bit of video editing. I’ve set myself the challenge of posting a new magazine video on the Stack blog every Tuesday, and it’s the thing I’m most excited about at the moment. Even if I do have to ban myself from using the words “lovely,” “brilliant” and “great.”
What song will you be listening to most this week?
I’m going to ATP at the end of the month so I’ll be working my way through the lineup on YouTube. Currently as far as Les Savy Fav, and planning to dodge Har Mar Superstar.
What was the best thing you read this morning?
A really interesting piece on the Financial Times by Simon Kuper, via Tim O’Reilly on Twitter. It’s about the fact that most people don’t have jobs for life these days, so we’re less likely to define ourselves by what we do and therefore need to define ourselves in other ways.
Send us a picture of something you’ll use a lot this week…
I’m giving a talk at City University tomorrow so I’ll be drawing upon my pile(s) of magazines to find interesting things to throw their way.
If you could have a midweek night out with anyone, doing anything what would it be?
It would have been amazing to go for a drink with Ted Hughes. Just imagine those vowel sounds as the beer set in.
What do you hope to have achieved come Friday?
I’d like to be past the half way point in selling out Printout. It’s the last one of the year, with some of the year’s best new independent magazines coming together to talk about their experiences since launching, and what they’ve got planned for next year.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography