Sticking two fingers up to Monday morning on this cold, grey almost amusingly stereotypical November day we are thrilled to have Steve Watson, founder and curator of Stack magazines which celebrates the best independent publications the world has to offer. Steve’s a busy man but he found time to share his hopes and plans for the week ahead. Over to you sir…
What’s the best way of getting over Monday morning blues?
This morning it was with a bit of video editing. I’ve set myself the challenge of posting a new magazine video on the Stack blog every Tuesday, and it’s the thing I’m most excited about at the moment. Even if I do have to ban myself from using the words “lovely,” “brilliant” and “great.”
What song will you be listening to most this week?
I’m going to ATP at the end of the month so I’ll be working my way through the lineup on YouTube. Currently as far as Les Savy Fav, and planning to dodge Har Mar Superstar.
What was the best thing you read this morning?
A really interesting piece on the Financial Times by Simon Kuper, via Tim O’Reilly on Twitter. It’s about the fact that most people don’t have jobs for life these days, so we’re less likely to define ourselves by what we do and therefore need to define ourselves in other ways.
Send us a picture of something you’ll use a lot this week…
I’m giving a talk at City University tomorrow so I’ll be drawing upon my pile(s) of magazines to find interesting things to throw their way.
If you could have a midweek night out with anyone, doing anything what would it be?
It would have been amazing to go for a drink with Ted Hughes. Just imagine those vowel sounds as the beer set in.
What do you hope to have achieved come Friday?
I’d like to be past the half way point in selling out Printout. It’s the last one of the year, with some of the year’s best new independent magazines coming together to talk about their experiences since launching, and what they’ve got planned for next year.
- Living for the weekend, it's Best of the Web!
- The photographer archiving South Africa’s black lesbian community
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Friday Mixtape: Grammy award-winning Tinariwen curates a genre-crossing mix
- Designer Kara Zichittella talks about her typographically-led projects
- “Where’s my community?”: Skin Deep and POC on the need for diversity in the film industry
- A new national identity: Smörgåsbord Studio rebrands Wales
- Graphic design gems: Chicago gang business cards from the 1970s and 80s
- Photographer Dougie Wallace captures the super rich spenders of “Harrodsburg”
- “Romance in a sort-of fantasy world”: photographer Molly Matalon's new work (some NSFW)
- Studio Michael Satter’s sophisticatedly simple graphic design portfolio
- Harry Pearce and Pentagram create a new identity for Pink Floyd’s record label