Actual Source describes itself as a “multi-format publisher” which encompasses what they produce, but not the extent of it. It collaborates with a wealth of creatives whether they be artists, designers or writers.
Actual Source has many representations. It is a physical shop promoting the works of contemporary artists from furniture to publications. Its online platform releases limited edition fonts and collaborates with artists, coming together in a biannual publication, Shoplifters. It’s also attached to design studio, Number 04, providing brand identity and art direction by JP Haynie, Chris Mann and Davis Ngarupe. Its clients include Utah Museum of Contemporary Art, Nomia NYC, Need Supply, Hypebeast and Harvard University. Despite being based in Utah, Actual Source’s multifaceted outreach is worldwide.
Recent collaborations from Actual Source include works with Jan Horcik, Raf Rennie, Hassan Rahim and Catalogue, graphic designers and studios of the moment. A range of these collaborations culminate in the recent issue of Shoplifters which “doesn’t have a single identity, it’ size, paper, typography, and tone changes each time it’s published,” Actual Source explains. Designed and art directed by Number 04, each issue collates the artists Actual Source collaborate with, but in a style that represents the publisher too. For instance the typeface choice for issue five, CCTV is by one of its featured designers, Dinamo, and encapsulates the tone of the publication as well as its content.
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos