Adam Broomberg and Oliver Chanarin’s latest publication isn’t a cheerful undertaking, I would go as far as to say it looks the darkest side of humanity square in the eye. Guided by philosopher Adi Ophir’s central tenet that God reveals himself predominantly through catastrophe, and that power structures within the Bible correlate with those within modern systems of governance, the artists have created an exact replica of the King James Bible and inserted photographs from the Archive of Modern Conflict alongside a selection of underlined passages.
The project draws parallels between catastrophic acts of God and modern day state-sponsored violence, yet the meticulous attention to design suggests it’s less about the artists venting their own views on the links between religion, violence and control, and about offering a unique and challenging context to view scenes which provoke moral outrage. In a world where images of war, calamity and destruction dominate modern media, Holy Bible reminds us that the contemporary circus of pain and suffering which plays out in daily news reports can often obscure a real questioning of the deeper roots of human behaviour.
- Fear of a flat planet: Heatherwick Studio’s adventures with clay
- Graphic designer Braulio Amado picks out his favourite posters of 2016 from his new book
- Nice Threads, Mate embroiders throwaway British culture in incredible detail
- The high-powered fashion photography of duo Florence & Nicolas
- Beehives, blondes and boobs: Dolly Faibyshev photographs Dollypalooza
- Bold Decisions tests a type specimen’s form in personable font, Lars
- The return of the hovering art director: we asked comic artist Nadine Redlich to peer inside agency life
- YouTube releases its first own-brand font, YouTube Sans, inspired by the play button
- Photographer Raymond Rojas captures the “magic” in Disneyland Paris
- How to go freelance: need-to-know advice from creatives who made it
- Paul Rand’s IBM Graphic Standards Manual to be reissued
- Stefan Sagmeister speaks to It's Nice That about The Beauty Project