Promotional film posters are a dime a dozen in most major cities – plastered over walls and on electronic billboards as far as the eye can see – but few know how to nail them quite like Agatha A. Nitecka. The film photographer has shot posters and promotional materials for films from Wuthering Heights to For Those in Peril, and unusually for her profession, she works entirely on film.
She explains: “I work in quite an unusual way – not very commercially friendly, perhaps. I shoot on 35mm film, walking around film sets with two cameras, and prime lenses only, one loaded with a colour roll and the other one with black and white film. I work very closely with directors and bring a fine art approach to film stills.”
We were especially enamoured by her work for The Selfish Giant. Directed and written by Clio Barnard, the film was met with huge success, and has been described by critics as something of a contemporary fable, focusing as the story does on the plight of two young boys from a working class background. Agatha captured the film’s characters and atmosphere in her own inimitable way, trailing around the set with the cast to shoot them with a kind of integrity that promotional images rarely encapsulate.
- Tokyo illustrator Okamura Yuta and his endearing brush-and-ink characters
- French illustrator Damien Filliatre's “trashy and cynical” universe
- Graphic Designer Robynne Redgrave profiles prolific Yelp.com reviewer in You Can Change
- Photographer Ina Niehoff's "pure and silent" look at the Moroccan countryside
- The meticulously layered and striped paintings of Guy Yanai
- Design studio Sawdust shares its most-loved books
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant