Promotional film posters are a dime a dozen in most major cities – plastered over walls and on electronic billboards as far as the eye can see – but few know how to nail them quite like Agatha A. Nitecka. The film photographer has shot posters and promotional materials for films from Wuthering Heights to For Those in Peril, and unusually for her profession, she works entirely on film.
She explains: “I work in quite an unusual way – not very commercially friendly, perhaps. I shoot on 35mm film, walking around film sets with two cameras, and prime lenses only, one loaded with a colour roll and the other one with black and white film. I work very closely with directors and bring a fine art approach to film stills.”
We were especially enamoured by her work for The Selfish Giant. Directed and written by Clio Barnard, the film was met with huge success, and has been described by critics as something of a contemporary fable, focusing as the story does on the plight of two young boys from a working class background. Agatha captured the film’s characters and atmosphere in her own inimitable way, trailing around the set with the cast to shoot them with a kind of integrity that promotional images rarely encapsulate.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting