Anyone who knows their European history understands that it is one of constant movement and assimilation leaving us with a mishmash identity unconstrained by official borders. As with ancient tribes, so with creative talent, and last week superbly Finnish illustration agency Agent Pekka opened up their Amsterdam office, bringing their killer reputation into the heart of central Europe.
They have marked the move with a new show Pekka is Here at the Guns and Butter gallery, featuring a host of their roster’s star names including Holly Wales, Rami Niemi, Santtu Mustonen Owen Gatley and Janine Rewell. It’s a glorious show with Pekka’s eye for talent consistently faultless across a whole gamut of styles.
Speaking to co-founder Pablo Steffa, it’s clear he is determined to scout out the best local Dutch talent as well, under the stewardship of Caroline Svensson, a former Wieden’s art producer heading up the Amsterdam operation.Clearly buzzing at the move, Pablo said: “The interesting mix of international and local advertising agencies, the presence of strong global brands and the appreciation the Dutch have for good design,are all reasons why we chose Amsterdam as the city for our first office abroad.”
And if you’re in Amsterdam, the show is open next weekend Thusrday to Saturday 10-6pm – it’s well worth a visit.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting