Anyone who knows their European history understands that it is one of constant movement and assimilation leaving us with a mishmash identity unconstrained by official borders. As with ancient tribes, so with creative talent, and last week superbly Finnish illustration agency Agent Pekka opened up their Amsterdam office, bringing their killer reputation into the heart of central Europe.
They have marked the move with a new show Pekka is Here at the Guns and Butter gallery, featuring a host of their roster’s star names including Holly Wales, Rami Niemi, Santtu Mustonen Owen Gatley and Janine Rewell. It’s a glorious show with Pekka’s eye for talent consistently faultless across a whole gamut of styles.
Speaking to co-founder Pablo Steffa, it’s clear he is determined to scout out the best local Dutch talent as well, under the stewardship of Caroline Svensson, a former Wieden’s art producer heading up the Amsterdam operation.Clearly buzzing at the move, Pablo said: “The interesting mix of international and local advertising agencies, the presence of strong global brands and the appreciation the Dutch have for good design,are all reasons why we chose Amsterdam as the city for our first office abroad.”
And if you’re in Amsterdam, the show is open next weekend Thusrday to Saturday 10-6pm – it’s well worth a visit.
- Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer: the Stein sisters’ heart-warming film on child ballroom stars
- Three female art directors on collaboration, competition and confidence
- Pooneh Ghana’s ambient crowd and artist portraits from Pitchfork Music Festival make you wish you were there
- Julian Glander explains what a blockchain system is for MIT Technology Review
- “It’s a process of baby-making”: designing the horrific and hilarious multiverse of Rick and Morty
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus