As child I used to draw pages and pages of patterns filled with different shapes spiralling out from the middle and somehow tessellating together. At one time hearts and stars were heavily interspersed as I’d just learnt how to do them really well. What I liked about doing these patterns was even though they were just a jumble of shapes and meanings, they all fitted together as one piece.
Producing so much more polished versions of this kind of mix-and-match approach to pattern making, is Finnish illustrator and designer Aino-Maija Metsola with her vivid prints. Like modern folk tapestries, they combine simple shapes and symbols with repeated patterns and more detailed images that provide some narrative. The colours are sharply contrasted with heavy black and the different size of the various segments are what makes her work exciting to look at.
The majority of work Aino-Maija produces is for textile and clothing company Marimekko, known for its bright, original prints. As well as making clothes, her illustration work has been employed on the shop fronts of their stores in Helsinki and just recently the facade for their New York store – there’s something even lovelier seeing the flat images being brought to life via a 3D structure.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant