I don’t doubt that Alasdair McLellan has had his fill of being referred to in the context of his “Northernness,” but the photographer’s origin is a factor which continues to influence his work to such an extent that it would be foolish to ignore it. He captures an atmosphere which is arguably unmatched in fashion photography; both male and female models appear gritty and tough, but simultaneously romantic and sensual. It’s a uniquely Northern mood and a difficult juxtaposition to capture, but he continues to achieve it like no other in his field.
Accordingly, he’s photographed for all the greats in fashion publishing; i-D magazine, Self Service, The Gentlewoman and Vogue being just a few in a wealth of worthy names. And excitingly, he has just released his first book, which is called Ultimate Clothing Company.
The publication has been edited and designed by Midas figures Mathias Augustyniak and Michael Amzalag of M/M (Paris) and exists in a limited edition of only 2000 individually numbered copies. Predictably, the images selected demonstrate all of the beautiful, grubby honesty attributed to Alasdair’s work, and do so in a form which allows them the breathing room that the magazine format can sometimes lack. It’s a long overdue and much-appreciated addition to any avid collector’s library.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant