I don’t doubt that Alasdair McLellan has had his fill of being referred to in the context of his “Northernness,” but the photographer’s origin is a factor which continues to influence his work to such an extent that it would be foolish to ignore it. He captures an atmosphere which is arguably unmatched in fashion photography; both male and female models appear gritty and tough, but simultaneously romantic and sensual. It’s a uniquely Northern mood and a difficult juxtaposition to capture, but he continues to achieve it like no other in his field.
Accordingly, he’s photographed for all the greats in fashion publishing; i-D magazine, Self Service, The Gentlewoman and Vogue being just a few in a wealth of worthy names. And excitingly, he has just released his first book, which is called Ultimate Clothing Company.
The publication has been edited and designed by Midas figures Mathias Augustyniak and Michael Amzalag of M/M (Paris) and exists in a limited edition of only 2000 individually numbered copies. Predictably, the images selected demonstrate all of the beautiful, grubby honesty attributed to Alasdair’s work, and do so in a form which allows them the breathing room that the magazine format can sometimes lack. It’s a long overdue and much-appreciated addition to any avid collector’s library.
- Graphic design grad Georgia Cranstoun reconsiders authorship with a “bootleg” book
- Bohuy Kim’s “strange but splendid” poster designs
- Tokyo-based photographer Yota Yoshida’s “poetic expressions in the everyday”
- Roberta Sant’Anna takes her camera inside a weird and wonderful Brazilian water park
- “Work hard and be nice to people”: what we learned at Nicer Tuesdays March
- “Dance exists when we run out of things to say”: choreographer Holly Blakey on her life and practice
- Petition launched against winner of Foam Paul Huf photography award for “stereotyping and sexism”
- Exclusive: rediscover graphics from Fiorucci’s archival 1984 Panini collaboration
- Kirsten Lepore’s creepy clay character is oddly soothing in this brilliant animation
- Me & EU project will send creative postcards across Europe on trigger date of Article 50
- Phaidon book gathers together 500 of the most iconic graphic designs of all time
- Atelier Brenda: the alter ego of three female designers you need to get to know