I don’t doubt that Alasdair McLellan has had his fill of being referred to in the context of his “Northernness,” but the photographer’s origin is a factor which continues to influence his work to such an extent that it would be foolish to ignore it. He captures an atmosphere which is arguably unmatched in fashion photography; both male and female models appear gritty and tough, but simultaneously romantic and sensual. It’s a uniquely Northern mood and a difficult juxtaposition to capture, but he continues to achieve it like no other in his field.
Accordingly, he’s photographed for all the greats in fashion publishing; i-D magazine, Self Service, The Gentlewoman and Vogue being just a few in a wealth of worthy names. And excitingly, he has just released his first book, which is called Ultimate Clothing Company.
The publication has been edited and designed by Midas figures Mathias Augustyniak and Michael Amzalag of M/M (Paris) and exists in a limited edition of only 2000 individually numbered copies. Predictably, the images selected demonstrate all of the beautiful, grubby honesty attributed to Alasdair’s work, and do so in a form which allows them the breathing room that the magazine format can sometimes lack. It’s a long overdue and much-appreciated addition to any avid collector’s library.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting