Last year Art and Graft charmed our socks off with a short animation promoting Cornish autism charity Spectrum and so inspired were they by the organisation’s amazing work that they’ve been back – and this time they took some friends. They asked four of the best animators around – Mikey Please, Matthias Hoegg, Kristian Andrews and UFO – to create four portraits of individuals whose lives had been turned around by Spectrum (and they also made another piece themselves).
The five pieces, released today, are all quite different, ranging from Mattthias’ explosion of colour and music to UFO’s darker effort, Mikey’s look at a little-known condition that affects autism sufferers to Art & Graft’s effective mix of animation and video. But my favourite is Kristian’s film Michelle which really captures some of his subject’s anxieties.
All the filmmakers visited the charity and spent time with the people they were featuring and they came together for group crits over a few beers. The results are superb –moving but not mawkish, inspiring but not heavy-handedly so, affecting and effective. It’s hard to imagine a more worthy use of creative talent.
Kristian Andrews: Michelle
Matthais Hoegg: Claire
Mikey Please: Steven
Art & Graft: Martyn
- Anna Haifisch bends the rules of comics in new floppy and oversized book, Drifter
- Illustrator Jill Senft creates fun and whimsy with her cavalcade of pink characters
- White Flag project that is tackling global division and the “growing fear of the stranger”
- Meet the Swiss duo behind graphic design agency Cécile + Roger
- Offshore Studio on their publication re-appropriating the word “migrant”
- Photographer Damien Maloney on working intuitively and playing with reality
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos