It’s Nice That wrote of Oakland artist Anna Valdez back in 2014 that “her mastery of textiles is so thorough that some of her pieces almost feel like studies, an effect which makes sense considering her academic interests. With a background in anthropology she paints domestic interiors as though they were portraits, with every detail contributing to the overall effect, whether it be house plants, intricately reproduced book covers, woolly jumpers or oriental rugs.”
Since then, Anna has continued to cover large canvases with intimately detailed interior spaces, featuring (of course), glossy coffee table art books. Although arguably best known for these oil paintings, Anna also produces prints, works on paper, drawings, animations and video. Among pages of enticing visual offerings on her website, we were particularly drawn to a set of digital drawings. We were struck by the apparent ease with which Anna mixes digital brush sizes and opacity to create landscapes which act as a computerised counterpart to her oils. With shades of purple running through each image, the ten landscapes, which range from desert to a neatly gardened border are brought together neatly. And, for the fans, Anna’s art books covers (Gauguin, Warren Brandt, Joan Brown, Giorgio Morande) make a welcome appearance.
- Hold Me Closer Tiny Dancer: the Stein sisters’ heart-warming film on child ballroom stars
- Three female art directors on collaboration, competition and confidence
- Pooneh Ghana’s ambient crowd and artist portraits from Pitchfork Music Festival make you wish you were there
- Julian Glander explains what a blockchain system is for MIT Technology Review
- “It’s a process of baby-making”: designing the horrific and hilarious multiverse of Rick and Morty
- Pouya Ahmadi uses typography to “bridge the gap between poetry, performance and space"
- The Sky Sports rebrand features bespoke type and refined logos across nine channels
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Applicants to UK arts and design university courses declines by over 14,000 this year
- Michael Bierut designs new brand identity for the Poetry Foundation
- Design, Revolt, Rainbow: the pioneering work of graphic designer Willy Fleckhaus