Pernilla & Asif are used to creating some pretty mindbending experiences (room full of clouds anyone?) and the duo’s latest work, the Coca Cola Beatbox is predictably eye-catching. Situated in the Olympic Park, it’s described as “an experimental fusion of architecture, sport, music and technology that creates a stunning multi-sensory experience” and comprises 200 interlocked translucent air cushions. Visitors can “play” the different cushions through their gestures and movement and this remixes the Mark Ronson track which uses samples of five Olympic sports (whose creation was memorably captured in Kim Gehrig’s excellent documentary Beat).
Asif Khan and Pernilla Ohrstedt, said: “The Coca-Cola Beatbox is our largest commission so far and we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to showcase our distinctive brand of architectural design at London 2012. We have created a structure that fuses architecture, music, sport and technology in a completely unique way.”
The pavilion also houses Jason Bruges’ installation Aerial Dynamics, 180 bespoke mechatronic bubbles which glow along to the beat based on visitors’ interaction with the piece and the space will host performances from specially-chosen young talents throughout the Games.
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Nike pattern designer Jeremy Pettis' psychedelic illustration side project
- Illustrator Charlotte Ager’s evocative and multilayered drawings
- Meet London-based illustrator, animator and curator Joey Yu
- Best of the Web, your antidote to Friday the 13th!
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant