Pernilla & Asif are used to creating some pretty mindbending experiences (room full of clouds anyone?) and the duo’s latest work, the Coca Cola Beatbox is predictably eye-catching. Situated in the Olympic Park, it’s described as “an experimental fusion of architecture, sport, music and technology that creates a stunning multi-sensory experience” and comprises 200 interlocked translucent air cushions. Visitors can “play” the different cushions through their gestures and movement and this remixes the Mark Ronson track which uses samples of five Olympic sports (whose creation was memorably captured in Kim Gehrig’s excellent documentary Beat).
Asif Khan and Pernilla Ohrstedt, said: “The Coca-Cola Beatbox is our largest commission so far and we’re thrilled to have the opportunity to showcase our distinctive brand of architectural design at London 2012. We have created a structure that fuses architecture, music, sport and technology in a completely unique way.”
The pavilion also houses Jason Bruges’ installation Aerial Dynamics, 180 bespoke mechatronic bubbles which glow along to the beat based on visitors’ interaction with the piece and the space will host performances from specially-chosen young talents throughout the Games.
- The creative process explained via egg metaphors, thanks to artist Honza Zamojski
- Vincent Girardot’s photo diary documents an alpine tour of fish, factories and firs
- Brian Griffin's haunting new photography book documents paths that led to the Holocaust
- Japanese designer Tadashi Ueda is back with some ambiguously playful posters
- Great design redressing scuzzy skate aesthetics for new totally rad boardsports mag
- Eric Shaw's abstract looped paintings start as digital sketches
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting
- Ely Dagher’s hypnotic and erotic animated vignettes for Model 86’s EP (NSFW)