Cycling is pretty much the new skateboarding (fact) and, as is customary with any wheel-based fad that’s emerged since the early 1990s, that means anyone with a camera to hand wants to make their own cycling video. Generally that leads to trendy dudes pulling gnarly tricks on skinny, brakeless bikes, high-fiving each other before cracking open some suds on their handlebars, or just slim bodies clad in lycra moving really, really fast. But who says bike videos need to be about getting big air or breaking the sound barrier? Not me and certainly not Ertzui film.
Their latest film follows Recep Yeşil and Erik Nohlin, two gentlemen attempting the Transcontinental Race from London to Istanbul that sees them conquering 3,100km of road, 30,000m of altitude and 14 European countries in the space of two weeks.
These guys aren’t speeding anywhere though, their hellish ascents often see them grinding along at a snail’s pace, buffeted by wind and rain and sometimes coming to a complete standstill. Consequently this is one bike film that’s all about the journey – the hardship of the experience and the personalities of these two maniacs – which, given the excellent cinematography, is one I’m looking forward to experiencing.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting