Cycling is pretty much the new skateboarding (fact) and, as is customary with any wheel-based fad that’s emerged since the early 1990s, that means anyone with a camera to hand wants to make their own cycling video. Generally that leads to trendy dudes pulling gnarly tricks on skinny, brakeless bikes, high-fiving each other before cracking open some suds on their handlebars, or just slim bodies clad in lycra moving really, really fast. But who says bike videos need to be about getting big air or breaking the sound barrier? Not me and certainly not Ertzui film.
Their latest film follows Recep Yeşil and Erik Nohlin, two gentlemen attempting the Transcontinental Race from London to Istanbul that sees them conquering 3,100km of road, 30,000m of altitude and 14 European countries in the space of two weeks.
These guys aren’t speeding anywhere though, their hellish ascents often see them grinding along at a snail’s pace, buffeted by wind and rain and sometimes coming to a complete standstill. Consequently this is one bike film that’s all about the journey – the hardship of the experience and the personalities of these two maniacs – which, given the excellent cinematography, is one I’m looking forward to experiencing.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant