As we welcome August into our calendars with gay abandon, it’s hard to keep track of what’s going on when we’re having so much fun. For some focus, we’ve gathered together the best things we’ve seen on the internet this week and the people you should be following on social media.
Absolutely top class headline from The Guardian on this coverage of the ongoing Ikea/Kanye will they/won’t they collaboration. (Jenny)
My mate Joe Skilton has just started an Instagram for all these headlines he has been collecting in Hackney. (Jamie M)
This is just… well, very creative. Warning: NSFW. (Connor)
The NSPCC have commissioned an animation to teach kids about sex abuse and saying “no.” (Caroline)
The first ever food stall to be awarded a michelin star. (Ali)
Writer Christine Laskowski, art director Kate Larue and animator Tom McCarten collaborate on this collaged infographic narrative video for FiveThirtyEight’s editorial on the milestone possibility of Clinton’s prospective presidency and the underlying absence of women in elected office. (Jamie G)
What Instagram would look like if it launched on Windows 95. (Simon)
A beautifully shot, short video portrait of a German ballet dancer in Berlin, discussing the art form, stage fright and his assertion that the true magic of ballet reveals itself in the process of experimentation and rehearsal, viewed within Within Three Meters. (Jamie G)
Women of NASA immortalised in Lego. (Julian)
Inspired by Alice Nutley’s project illustrating that women of a certain age consistently wear purple this Instagram highlights the grape brigade. (Lucy)
Festival creates Mini Berghain, the most hyped club in Europe and no one can get into it. (Jamie M)
Who to Follow
Benedikt Luft’s feed is full of daily drawings, WIP and general tomfoolery.
Yeah, we know, Jon Burgerman has been featured here a few times before, but his melting ice cream characters are so good we just couldn’t not share them.
If you like stunning photography alongside documentation of a pretty envious lifestyle, Caroline Tompkins is your gal.
Illustrator and thing maker Ness Lee’s Insta is full of charming nudes, cheeky ceramics and the occasional fan boy/girl tattoo.
Réka Neszmélyi is very, very good at the graphic design, and that’s all we have to say about that.
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s