It’s now 2016, AKA the future. A lot has changed: our entire editorial team has been replaced with robots, for instance; and the studio is now a work-pod gently orbiting through space. But one thing that hasn’t changed is our commitment to you, our readers, to bring you the very best of the web each and every Friday afternoon.
What better way to kick off Season 7 of Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee than with the President (Will)
The Atlantic has pulled together a list of the 2015’s Best of Lists from a range of publishers. They’re all pretty great. (Caroline)
Really enjoyed this hour-long show with a bunch of directors who’ve released films this year. Directors include Tarantino, Ridley Scott, Danny Boyle and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. Some parts are fascinating, highly recommend it if you have a spare hour. (Ali)
Nice write up from Frank Chimero on the “Hi, I’d like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn” caption that he pointed out works for every New Yorker cartoon last September and ended up being used in The New Yorker within six days (Will)
The Guardian visits the artists who have turned their homes into masterpieces (Beccy)
A writer reflects on their experience of the California Incline, and the mythology surrounding the piece of road connecting Santa Monica to the Pacific Coast Highway (Billie)
Heck, this has been on the internet for a fair while, but if you’re big into Star Wars and have ever pondered on the impact of music in film, this is going to make your day. The video is a pivotal scene in Star Wars IV which has removed the epic score of composer John Williams. What’s left is a surreal mix of awkward silence, daft actor expressions, and one hilariously bad impression of a wailing Chewbacca. Rrrrrrr-ghghghghgh! (Simon)
One week into 2016 and we’ve already got a first. Designer J.W. Anderson will exclusively live-stream his AW16 show via gay app Grindr this Sunday as part of London Collections: Men. This from the man who told The Guardian in September, "The minute your brand can be predicted, you’ve got a problem.” (Alex H)
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s