Hello, and welcome! In the week that saw Shia LaBeouf spend five days in a cinema furiously masturbating over films of himself, we are here to bring you all the other interesting stuff that’s appeared online in the last seven days. Next week: a web post about us reading our own web posts without sleeping for four days straight, and eating nothing but Saucy BBQ Space Raiders.
Interesting piece on The Independent that looks at the John Lewis ad. “Is its heart in the right place? Or does it communicate corporate, materialistic, self-interest values under the guise of charity?” (Emily)
You can now watch Earth from the International Space Station live, in HD! Fully recommended if you’re suffering from creative block, or need some perspective on the enormity of our little blue world. (Social Simon)
Alexis Petridis visits Prince in his studio in Minneapolis for The Guardian and his experience is as surreal and bizarre as you’d imagine . “There is a lot of purple. The symbol that represented Prince’s name for most of the 90s is everywhere.” (Beccy)
The New York Times celebrates radio host Terry Gross, who has conducted over 13,000 interviews during a 40-year career and has people dreaming of being interviewed by her (“My No. 1 fantasy of all time is to be interviewed by Terry Gross”). Her interviews have been compared to therapy sessions, and she admits, ‘‘My ideal as an interviewer is to be the person who gets it.” (Alex H)
Serial’s Sarah Koenig goes into detail about the series, and how its unprecedented success impacted her life in this feature on Vogue.
Port takes a look inside the new Donald Judd exhibition in New York. (Callum)
- Twin brothers V/A/B on their “difficultly simple” approach to design
- The people’s choice, it’s Best of the Web!
- Larry Hallegua captures sun worshippers on Pattaya Beach in Thailand
- Lukas Korshan photographs Dulwich Hamlet FC, where you can “drink beer, stand up, and let loose"
- “The field is stretching itself bigger and bigger” - Jurgen Bey on design education and infinite possibility
- Peter Judson messes with depth perception in new personal project, Infection
- Fashion photographer Miles Aldridge shoots the cast of Game of Thrones for Time Magazine
- The Netherlands’ royal crest changes gender for national women’s football team kit by Nike
- Peek inside erotic magazine Odiseo’s very NSFW tenth issue
- Rick and Morty’s Exquisite Corpse trailer features 22 animators including Simon Landrein and Bendik Kaltenborn
- Design director, Gail Bichler, on The New York Times Magazine typography exhibition
- Mark Shaw captures the glamour of haute couture runways from the 1950s