This identity that design studio Bleed have created for a new office building called Monier in Oslo, Norway, is heavily founded on the principles of the building itself, as well as the history of the site it has been built on. The idea for the logo is derived from the building’s three different window shapes, the studio explains, which are a key aspect of the building’s cubistic architecture.
The motif of the three window shapes extends to the custom typeface which Bleed have created to be implemented across the company’s stationery, too. The alphabet, which was inspired by original signage on the construction site, has been redrawn in three different widths, resulting in an identity which is as malleable as it is recognisable, expanding and retracting as required. The whole design process has been well commented by Bleed, with GIFs, old photographs and moving diagrams to help demonstrate the identity’s roots on their website. It’s a fascinating insight into the journey a studio undertakes when they design an identity, and it makes the prospect of an as yet unfinished office building a hello of a lot more exciting, don’t you think?
- Vanguards magazine explores Scotland's undiscovered creative treasure
- Yoko Yuki takes us on a bizarre jaunt into town in this kaleidoscopic animation
- Director Nick Ahlmark captures the thrills of night riding for Vice and Samsung
- Marion Jdanoff's skillful screen prints and books are packed with vibrancy
- Illustrator Zoë Taylor’s heroine escapes a party through clichéd melodrama and sporadic linework
- Björk Vulnicura: inside the creation of the kafkaesque headpieces by James Merry and Neri Oxman
- Airbnb launches its own in-house design studio, Samara
- Subway unveils redesigned logo and new symbol
- Neubau introduces its latest immaculately minimal typeface, NB Akademie
- PES creates an epic scale, long-exposure stop motion film for Honda
- Rio Olympics 2016: the creative projects inspired by the Games
- Erin M Riley’s hand-woven tapestries re-contextualise online pornography (NSFW)