Just one look at the books this Spanish design duo have picked and you know they mean business. Their choice of exhibition catalogues and functional typographic bibles reveal a lot about how Córdova – Canillas work. They themselves declare that their studio’s approach is “defined by a collaborative network that allows them to integrate graphic design, art direction, photography, communication and strategy to develop projects for commercial and institutional clients focused in contemporary culture.” Wowzah! Read on to get very inspired, very quickly.
Marc Bauer: Marc Bauer
The swiss born Marc Bauer is one of our favorite artists. His drawings are the perfect balance between punk and elegance.
Cyprien Gaillard: The Recovery of Discovery
One of our favorite installations is The Recovery of Discovery by Cyprien Gaillard at the KW Institute for Contemporary Art in Berlin. This is a really beautiful catalogue for a really sexy art installation.
Martino Gamper: 100 Chairs in 100 Days
Something great happened when Martino Gamper presented this exhibition at London’s Design Museum. The people from Åbäke took the exhibition and transformed it into a kind of catalogue. They have made a contemporary classic.
Vitra: The Home Collection, 2006
For us this is a fantastic reference for art direction and design. This catalogue changed the way people looked at art direction and content management. They were the first to include lifestyle photography in a luxury brand. Perfect photography and a really nice selection of typefaces and papers.
Swiss Federal Design Grants, 2006
We have a special affection for this book, we bought it when we were students. For us it was a bible of contemporary graphic design. We discovered the Akkurat typeface designed by Laurenz Brunner and from it we learnt to love a simple and clean way of design.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc