It’s always fascinating to see how different cultures take certain musical genres and shape them into something quite unique depending on what they adopt and what they re-imagine from the original. Scene Unseen is a new video series from Bose and Vice which explores this phenomenon through three examples; indie in Mexico, electronica in India and dancehall in Japan which is the subject of the first film.
Directed by Edward Lovelace and James Hall, who are collectively known as D.A.R.Y.L., it’s a really compelling snapshot of how this unexpected scene has evolved since emerging in the 1990s. It features one of Japan’s leading dancehall visionaries Batty Bom Bom and Yokohama’s soundsystem stars The Mighty Crown, but we also meet those who live and breathe dancehall, practising their moves and even studying the lyrics in special classes. “Dancehall is a way of life,” we discover, “it’s not just dancing, it’s much more than that.”
This is a great example too of how branded content should be; engaging on its own terms and confident enough to let the story speak for itself. It’s part of Bose’s #ListenforYourself campaign and we’re looking forward to the final two instalments being released shortly over on the dedicated website.
- Graphic identity lovers rejoice: “an unprecedented catalogue of modern trademarks” is here
- Upcoming Eduardo Paolozzi exhibition pairs key works with his daughter’s designs
- The brilliant Mat Maitland is back with more luxuriously surreal collages
- We chat to Snøhetta about designing banknotes, studio rituals and the problems with civic commissions
- Art and architecture get exhibitions and galleries: graphic design should too
- Candy colours, surreal scenes and unconventional couples in Bex Day's Manic Ovation series
- New Channel 4 identity by creative dream team of 4Creative, Jonathan Glazer, Neville Brody and DBLG
- A new stop-motion Honda advert took four months, dozens of illustrators and thousands of drawings
- Pentagram Partner Michael Bierut shares his wisdom on what makes a truly great logo design
- Photographing the choreography and chaos of the England cheerleading team
- Russian photographer Erik Panov's latex and salmon themed fashion shoot
- Phwoar! Typophiles, swoon over this cornucopia of contemporary typography