It’s always fascinating to see how different cultures take certain musical genres and shape them into something quite unique depending on what they adopt and what they re-imagine from the original. Scene Unseen is a new video series from Bose and Vice which explores this phenomenon through three examples; indie in Mexico, electronica in India and dancehall in Japan which is the subject of the first film.
Directed by Edward Lovelace and James Hall, who are collectively known as D.A.R.Y.L., it’s a really compelling snapshot of how this unexpected scene has evolved since emerging in the 1990s. It features one of Japan’s leading dancehall visionaries Batty Bom Bom and Yokohama’s soundsystem stars The Mighty Crown, but we also meet those who live and breathe dancehall, practising their moves and even studying the lyrics in special classes. “Dancehall is a way of life,” we discover, “it’s not just dancing, it’s much more than that.”
This is a great example too of how branded content should be; engaging on its own terms and confident enough to let the story speak for itself. It’s part of Bose’s #ListenforYourself campaign and we’re looking forward to the final two instalments being released shortly over on the dedicated website.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant