We have the utmost respect for the seemingly limitless creative brains of the brilliant Bruno Drummond and Gemma Tickle, photographer and set designer respectively, with their bonkers images and unmistakable visual stylings. So when it came to commissioning a feature for the Spring issue of Printed Pages Magazine we were more than happy to hand the task over to them and give them full rein.
They set the bar pretty high for themselves too, aiming to create a “typology of movement,” engineering a series of flexible forms that strangely resemble slides and then manipulating them in every way imaginable to create the illusion of different kinds of movement. The resulting series, Repeat, is much a testament to the sheer perfectionism the pair share as it is to the reach of their imaginations.
The new issue explains: “They’ve explored how different dynamic forms can be expressed visually, creating images that encompass extreme velocity, a lazy slump or an eager fluid curl. Bouncing rubber balls, card trickery and formations of soldiers marching have informed a set of real-world phenomena, translated into their abstract creations.”
Printed Pages Spring 2014 is out now and available from the Company of Parrots store.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant