Zurich-based studio Büro 146’s bread and butter is book design, posters, websites and exhibition graphics. Established in 2011 by Maike Hamacher, Valentin Hindermann and Madeleine Stahel, the studio works closely with its clients to develop the right solution.
As a small team, Büro 146 call upon a trusted list of photographers, illustrators, programmers and printers to collaborate with on its varied briefs. Mainly producing work for the creative industries, the studio’s work often adopts a simple and clean approach offsetting this with bright hues and interesting imagery to make it more engaging.
An identity created with Selina Bütler for Roger Bolthausers’ guest professorship at EPFL in Lausanne uses the architect’s work in the posters and pamphlet cover in a subtle but pleasing way. Whereas the studio’s identity for F + F School of Art and Design in Zurich, uses primary colours as its focus, creating an abstract paint palette in uniform blocks featured on publications, stationery and posters.
Other stand out projects include screenprinted posters for Swiss gallery Kunst(Zeug)Haus and another series of posters for the Pavilion Le Corbusier, which demonstrate the studio’s ability to seamlessly integrate text, image and colour together.
- Photographer Peter Anderson on his experiments with a Widelux camera and their "wonderful distortions"
- "We are visual storytellers": studio Córdova Canillas talks us through the redesign of Fucking Young! magazine
- A sneak peak into Patrick Kyle’s new comic, Night Door
- Liam Cobb illustrates the collapse of the Heygate Estate in latest comic Conditioner
- “Imagination doesn’t compare to our real life design history”: Annie Atkins on the art of graphic design for film
- X-Rated Adult Movie Posters of the 60s and 70s celebrates gloriously crude B-movie artwork
- The New York Times Magazine’s new cover is actually a painting
- BBC’s new typeface BBC Reith is designed to improve legibility on screen
- “It needs to be normalised that women masturbate”: meet illustrator Jordyn McGeachin
- Life through the lens of enchanting photographer Vicki King
- Six months in the (enviable) life of photographer Ryan Lowry
- We get to know hilarious and thoughtful illustrator, Ruby Etc