The Cannes Film Festival seems like the most glamorous event on the film calendar – you pretty much have to be either super-cool or super-rich to go, and as I am neither (yet) I instead try to recreate the feeling of being there at home. I tan-up, wear white (for some riviera chic) and surround myself with popcorn and croissants (gotta keep it French) while re-watching the trailers again and again. The novelty wears off after about nine and a half minutes, because I’m in my living room not the south of France but still.
Some spectacular looking films have been nominated for this year’s prestigious Palme d’Or prize, so why don’t you join me in a budget-Cannes Fest and watch some of trailers of the nominees right now. Ones we’re excited about include the festival’s fairytale opener Moonrise Kingdom from Wes Anderson that tells the story of a young couple on the run, the first screen adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road for some hip, beatnik fun, and the intriguing Cosmopolis by David Cronenberg about a 28-year old billonaire starring Juliette Binoche – who is not only from France, but whose last name sounds like brioche the French sweet roll.
The shortlist is 22-strong and here’s all the trailers we could get our hands on…
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting