The Cannes Film Festival seems like the most glamorous event on the film calendar – you pretty much have to be either super-cool or super-rich to go, and as I am neither (yet) I instead try to recreate the feeling of being there at home. I tan-up, wear white (for some riviera chic) and surround myself with popcorn and croissants (gotta keep it French) while re-watching the trailers again and again. The novelty wears off after about nine and a half minutes, because I’m in my living room not the south of France but still.
Some spectacular looking films have been nominated for this year’s prestigious Palme d’Or prize, so why don’t you join me in a budget-Cannes Fest and watch some of trailers of the nominees right now. Ones we’re excited about include the festival’s fairytale opener Moonrise Kingdom from Wes Anderson that tells the story of a young couple on the run, the first screen adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road for some hip, beatnik fun, and the intriguing Cosmopolis by David Cronenberg about a 28-year old billonaire starring Juliette Binoche – who is not only from France, but whose last name sounds like brioche the French sweet roll.
The shortlist is 22-strong and here’s all the trailers we could get our hands on…
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant