The Cannes Film Festival seems like the most glamorous event on the film calendar – you pretty much have to be either super-cool or super-rich to go, and as I am neither (yet) I instead try to recreate the feeling of being there at home. I tan-up, wear white (for some riviera chic) and surround myself with popcorn and croissants (gotta keep it French) while re-watching the trailers again and again. The novelty wears off after about nine and a half minutes, because I’m in my living room not the south of France but still.
Some spectacular looking films have been nominated for this year’s prestigious Palme d’Or prize, so why don’t you join me in a budget-Cannes Fest and watch some of trailers of the nominees right now. Ones we’re excited about include the festival’s fairytale opener Moonrise Kingdom from Wes Anderson that tells the story of a young couple on the run, the first screen adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road for some hip, beatnik fun, and the intriguing Cosmopolis by David Cronenberg about a 28-year old billonaire starring Juliette Binoche – who is not only from France, but whose last name sounds like brioche the French sweet roll.
The shortlist is 22-strong and here’s all the trailers we could get our hands on…
- It's Nice That visits the Turner Prize
- Our Favourite Places is promoting the creative wealth of innovative Sheffield
- Meet tarot-obsessed Gucci illustrator Jayde Fish
- Julia Autz documents Transnistria, a country steeped in Soviet nostalgia
- Felicity Marshall, the illustrator merging editorial and fashion design
- Wow Factor: the eye-popping results of A Load of Jargon's printing workshops
- “Nymphomaniac” photographer Casper Sejersen's explosive images
- Anja Wicki's sarcastically sweet comic illustrations
- Logo Pizza is selling 50 ready-made logos that increase in price with each one sold
- Google and INT Works commission 19 illustrators to create over 500 works for Allo app launch
- The Gentlewoman’s art director, Veronica Ditting gives us a peek at her bookshelf