The Cannes Film Festival seems like the most glamorous event on the film calendar – you pretty much have to be either super-cool or super-rich to go, and as I am neither (yet) I instead try to recreate the feeling of being there at home. I tan-up, wear white (for some riviera chic) and surround myself with popcorn and croissants (gotta keep it French) while re-watching the trailers again and again. The novelty wears off after about nine and a half minutes, because I’m in my living room not the south of France but still.
Some spectacular looking films have been nominated for this year’s prestigious Palme d’Or prize, so why don’t you join me in a budget-Cannes Fest and watch some of trailers of the nominees right now. Ones we’re excited about include the festival’s fairytale opener Moonrise Kingdom from Wes Anderson that tells the story of a young couple on the run, the first screen adaptation of Jack Kerouac’s On the Road for some hip, beatnik fun, and the intriguing Cosmopolis by David Cronenberg about a 28-year old billonaire starring Juliette Binoche – who is not only from France, but whose last name sounds like brioche the French sweet roll.
The shortlist is 22-strong and here’s all the trailers we could get our hands on…
- Damien Maloney talks about how he became a "self-taught hobbyist photographer"
- “Prayer paintings, manga and motivational images”: Gitte Maria Moller's cryptic artworks
- Jad Hussein's tropical catalogue design for Paris exhibition Jamaica, Jamaica
- From Lemon Twigs to Laura Marling: Hollie Fernando’s painterly photography folio
- Hey presto, it's Best of the Web!
- Paris-based Studio Jimbo creates "impact and power" with punchy poster designs
- Alex Norris’ hilarious three-panelled webcomics are universally appealing
- Southbank Centre visual identity redesigned by North, to be a “confident masthead” for the institution
- The Buzzfeed redesign: UK art director Tim Lane talks us through his seven-month overhaul
- Fresh Yale grad Franci Virgili applies an academic approach to graphic design
- Instagram co-founder Mike Krieger on how to stand out
- Leipzig graphic design studio Lamm & Kirch on their shared ethos