This advertising world descended on Cannes last week for the annual sun-kissed celebration of some of the best work created during the past 12 months. With multiple winners across the 16 categories you’d be forgiven for struggling to keep up with who won what, but the excellent official winners’ website is the best place to get acquainted with the big picture. Here we’ve picked out a few examples of winners that caught our eye; some bits we’d championed on the site before and some we came across for the first time via the Lions.
Anti Bergen: Bergen International Festival (Grand Prix, Design)
A mighty impressive identity that builds from a simple starting point into something interesting, eye-catching and ambitious.
WHYBIN\TBWA Group Melbourne: ANZ GayTMs (Grand Prix, Outdoor)
A simple idea, a great pun and a project that engages with an event without feeling like cynical bandwagon-jumping.
McCann Melbourne: V/Line – Guilt Trips (Grand Prix, Creative Effectiveness)
“We recognised there is no force more powerful than a mother’s guilt,” the agency say and this has just the right balance of emotional manipulation and a knowingness about what it’s doing.
G-Star Raw, Amsterdam: Raw For The Oceans (Grand Prix, Product Design)
Creating a fashion range out of plastic dumped in the sea could come out too worthy for words; luckily the expert handling of this project and the presence of Pharrell makes it a deserved winner.
adam&eveDDB: Sorry I Spent It On Myself (Grand Prix, Film)
Interlude: Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone for Sony (Gold, Branded Content and Entertainment)
Another project we championed long ago, but it’s never not worth re-watching this amazing interactive Bob Dylan music video from the clever folks over at Interlude in New York.
- Best of the Web: Trump inauguration protest special
- We go behind the scenes of Bonobo’s trippy No Reason video with director Oscar Hudson
- Doppelglanders: 3D animator Julian Glander interviews his name twin
- The witchy dreamscapes of illustrator Maren Karlson
- Maciej Dakowicz's photographs capture unexpected, serendipitous moments
- The comic book influences of illustrator Stefanie Leinhos
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant