This advertising world descended on Cannes last week for the annual sun-kissed celebration of some of the best work created during the past 12 months. With multiple winners across the 16 categories you’d be forgiven for struggling to keep up with who won what, but the excellent official winners’ website is the best place to get acquainted with the big picture. Here we’ve picked out a few examples of winners that caught our eye; some bits we’d championed on the site before and some we came across for the first time via the Lions.
Anti Bergen: Bergen International Festival (Grand Prix, Design)
A mighty impressive identity that builds from a simple starting point into something interesting, eye-catching and ambitious.
WHYBIN\TBWA Group Melbourne: ANZ GayTMs (Grand Prix, Outdoor)
A simple idea, a great pun and a project that engages with an event without feeling like cynical bandwagon-jumping.
McCann Melbourne: V/Line – Guilt Trips (Grand Prix, Creative Effectiveness)
“We recognised there is no force more powerful than a mother’s guilt,” the agency say and this has just the right balance of emotional manipulation and a knowingness about what it’s doing.
G-Star Raw, Amsterdam: Raw For The Oceans (Grand Prix, Product Design)
Creating a fashion range out of plastic dumped in the sea could come out too worthy for words; luckily the expert handling of this project and the presence of Pharrell makes it a deserved winner.
adam&eveDDB: Sorry I Spent It On Myself (Grand Prix, Film)
Interlude: Bob Dylan, Like a Rolling Stone for Sony (Gold, Branded Content and Entertainment)
Another project we championed long ago, but it’s never not worth re-watching this amazing interactive Bob Dylan music video from the clever folks over at Interlude in New York.
- Best of the Web: a few of our favourite things we've spotted on the internet this week
- Tom Phillips' magnum opus turned a Victorian novel into a work of art spanning 50 years
- Matisse-inspired posters for Serbian Youth Day from designer Monika Lang
- Raphael Schoen's cheerfully chaotic posters for a Swiss youth club
- Illustrators including Sam Taylor and Charlotte Mei's tributes to NWA's Straight Outta Compton
- The slides and sleep pods of LA's Silicon Beach startup scene captured by Lauren Greenfield
- A mind full of filthy ideas and creative brilliance: we visit Malika Favre
- The bizarre, twilight world of Berlin-based photographer Maxime Ballesteros
- Wieden + Kennedy Amsterdam and Colophon create typeface that works with the Earth's tilt
- The Anonymous Sex Journal is back, and this issue is all about wanking
- The homeless Dirty Kids of America and their "rainbow party" explored in new film
- 12-year-old accidentally punches a hole $1.5 million painting