Kids these days are spoilt. Not content with their televisions, laser tag, Subbuteo and Tomy products they’ve now got iPads, iPhones, miniature projectors, virtual reality headsets and each newborn child is surgically equipped with its own telescopic micro-scooter that folds out of the left leg for seamless travel to and from school. Those grinning little blighters have it all, except that last one – I made that up. Now they’ve got their grubby little hands on the very best animators around too with Cartoon Network recently commissioning some of the world’s best young talent to produce a spot for them.
The new ident is an animated exquisite-corps with six creatives given 10 seconds of music, a four-colour palette and all their favourite Cartoon Network characters with which to create a unique part of the piece. The final minute-long result features work from Alex Grigg, Eamonn O’Neill, Impactist, leCRCR, Rubber House and Awesome Inc. and is a belting journey through a crazy cartoon world that beats the hell out of anything I ever got sat in front of as a kid (curse you CITV!). Anyway, slap it on repeat and enjoy like the repressed child you really are!
- Curator Shonagh Marshall takes us through the highlights from Hair by Sam McKnight
- Yeji Yun’s imaginative zine combines frozen lands, whales and cocktails
- Zhang Kechun encapsulates the oblivion of China's mysterious Yellow River
- Artist Anna Valdez brings her eye for detail to digital painting
- Bold in its broadness, the work of Dave Singley
- Córdova Canillas seek inspiration between nostalgia and obsolescence for C de C annual
- Reasons Not To Do Graphic Design by Yotam Hadar
- Nostalgia in branding: top design studios analyse the NatWest and Co-op retrobrands
- Google and Monotype launch Noto, an open-source typeface family for all the world’s languages
- The only way is ethics: what are the moral obligations of a graphic designer?
- Rachel Levit illustrates contemporary relationships in new book
- Creative agency INT Works relaunches as Anyways, with a playful graphic identity