Children’s books are often a singular entity as far as fiction is concerned; everybody remembers their favourite, but you’d be hard-pressed to explain why, for example, a caterpillar with an insatiable appetite appealed to millions of children. So you can only give an appreciative nod to the illustrators and designers looking to capture the ineffable in creating those much-loved tomes.
London-based designer and art director Charlotte Heal is one such creative; her portfolio is mainly populated with art, fashion and editorial projects for clients including Love magazine, V&A publishing and Random House among others, but in the mix is a children’s story called The Mushroom Picker by David Robinson which Charlotte designed. Using photo-sensitive images called luminograms, she created a visual counterpart to the story, which is based on a series of mushroom characters in an English wood. The result is a sweetly haunting and curious book which pairs contemporary design with a folk-inspired story in an utterly unique way. Designing for children’s books may not an easy genre to master, but Charlotte has done it exceptionally well.
- The wacky, zany and eccentric world of illustrator Egle Zvirblyte
- Maziyar Pahlevan’s monochrome portfolio is full of typographic experiments
- The cut glass assemblages of graphic-turned-3D designer Juli Bolaños-Durman
- Photographer Mico Toledo documents the defiant protestors of Standing Rock
- Kevin Umaña’s abstract paintings portray a musical symphony
- The delicately ornate, but very cheeky sculptures of Liv and Dom
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Special Projects on why, sometimes, design is best kept simple
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant