One of our favourite local illustrators, William Edmonds, has been quietly beavering away on collaboration-based project Colossal Space since mid-2011, when Supermundane kicked off proceedings. Nearly two years and seven collaborators later, William has recently enlisted his friend and NousVous collaborator Jay Cover to contribute to this clever and charming project.
Colossal Space involves handing an artist a glass cube (55mm x 55mm x 95mm) and asking them to treat it as a gallery space by creating a tiny installation to fit inside. The size and nature of the cabinet allows the space around it to become part of the show itself, making it important that the artist commandeering the miniature gallery chooses an appropriate location for it to be displayed. Past entries include Matthew The Horse filling it with mushy peas and presenting it to a small crowd on the Yorkshire moors, and Jez Burrows using flags to create a 10-flag salute to his beloved Edinburgh.
Have a look around the site and at Jay Cover’s recent addition. Colossal Space is a lovely project based around one solid concept and a really terrific group of creative friends. We can’t wait to see who gets to take charge of the glass space next!
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant