That fashion photographers often have favourite models to work with is no secret, but it’s not so common that they pay tribute to them with a beautifully designed 200 page tome by mammoth publishing house Rizzoli, and then plonk their names on the cover. But then Craig McDean has always been an exception.
Rizzoli’s glorious new publication Amber, Guinevere and Kate photographed by Craig McDean is a glowing homage to the years from 1993 to 2005, when post-production was still a thing of the future, freckles, laughter lines and imperfections were the stuff careers were built on and three women dominated both the pages of glossy magazines and the lens of Craig McDean’s camera. The book documents the careers of Amber Valletta, Guinevere van Seenus and Kate Moss, three models whose personality, grace and style inspired Craig to photograph them more than any others in this period. Designed by M/M (Paris) and with text by Mathias Augustyniak and Glenn O’Brien, it’ll have you longing for the simplicity of pre-Photoshop days.
Amber, Guinevere and Kate Photographed by Craig McDean is out now, published by Rizzoli.
- How I Got Here: Marco Velardi and Omar Sosa, Apartamento magazine
- It’s Nice That x Channel 4 Random Acts: “It’ll be like a guided acid trip”
- Felicity Hammond's art sends up the visual language of luxury property developers
- Gillian Wearing uses the public's work to examine privacy and individual vs collective experience
- Anna Biel defies convention with "trashy" illustrations and animations
- Polish illustrator Gosia Herba interprets myths and legends in pastel tones
- Don't Hug Me I'm Scared - an exclusive interview with Duck, Red Guy and Yellow Guy
- Yoshinori Mizutani captures the colourful, rain soaked commuters of Tokyo
- Poem Baker photographs the Jûngølā drag clowns of London’s Deptford
- Stack founder Steven Watson shares five of his top magazines
- Photography: New show at LCC shows young travelling communities of the 90s
- Hilarious and charming new Maynards Bassetts' Liquorice Allsorts ad by Jack Sachs