Last week we donned our glad rags (ok a clean pair of jeans) and headed to Camden for the Creative Circle advertising awards. It was a top-notch night celebrating the campaigns that caused a splash over the past 12 months – here’s a look at some of the winners…
Graphics wise it was good to see the very talented, very tall Matt Judge pick up an award for his Design Assembly book, best art direction went to AMVBBDO’s posters for the V&A Museum of Childhood and RKCR/Y&R’s Land Rover Passport Stamps was a worthy winner too for a beautifully simple, creative idea (all these can be seen in the slideshow above).
Rapier took the prize for Best Typography thanks to their Yell Street Wiser campaign, narrowly edging out these Kit Kat Kloks from JWT…
There was a long discussion on our table about how awards like these should balance creative ideas and actual sales results, and the debate was typified by the big winner of the night, last year’s Christmas ad for John Lewis. It’s obvious that it splits opinion but its impact was undeniable and (whisper it) even some jaded creative types were heard to sing its praises.
And it was good to see this Aldi spot pick up an award, mainstream it may be but the way it wrong-foots the viewer still makes for a delightfully unexpected ending…
- The Ulm Model: a school and its pursuit of a critical design practice
- New One in New York: Simón Sepúlveda's six month design diary
- Eloïse Rossetti’s narrative and research-driven graphic design
- Illustrator Cécile Dormeau captures the humorous nuances of adult life
- Photographer Joshua Gordon's “loose diary” of work (NSFW)
- Four projects from Kickstarter's Make100 initiative which caught our eye
- Wolff Olins and zigbee launch the “first open-source brand for the Internet of Things”
- Graphic Design Festival Paris reveals 19 sport-inspired posters by Hort, Julia, Spassky Fischer and more
- FKA twigs teams up with 17 year old photographer David Uzochukwu for new Nike campaign
- Too Fast To Think: why switching off unlocks creativity
- Brian Finke captures the glitz and glamour of the Ms. Senior America beauty pageant