Last week we donned our glad rags (ok a clean pair of jeans) and headed to Camden for the Creative Circle advertising awards. It was a top-notch night celebrating the campaigns that caused a splash over the past 12 months – here’s a look at some of the winners…
Graphics wise it was good to see the very talented, very tall Matt Judge pick up an award for his Design Assembly book, best art direction went to AMVBBDO’s posters for the V&A Museum of Childhood and RKCR/Y&R’s Land Rover Passport Stamps was a worthy winner too for a beautifully simple, creative idea (all these can be seen in the slideshow above).
Rapier took the prize for Best Typography thanks to their Yell Street Wiser campaign, narrowly edging out these Kit Kat Kloks from JWT…
There was a long discussion on our table about how awards like these should balance creative ideas and actual sales results, and the debate was typified by the big winner of the night, last year’s Christmas ad for John Lewis. It’s obvious that it splits opinion but its impact was undeniable and (whisper it) even some jaded creative types were heard to sing its praises.
And it was good to see this Aldi spot pick up an award, mainstream it may be but the way it wrong-foots the viewer still makes for a delightfully unexpected ending…
- Back once again, it's Best of the Web!
- Photographers Kelia Anne MacCluskey and Luca Venter explore the limits of reality
- Gabriella Boyd’s paintings capture fleeting moments of intimacy
- Friday Mixtape: Because Music's Jane Third creates a lo-fi electronic mix
- Magic Party Place: CJ Clarke photographs Basildon, Essex over ten years
- Diane Fox distorts the “illusion of the diorama” with beguiling images of museum exhibits
- Photographer Trent Davis Bailey documents rural American community The North Fork
- Mr Bingo’s Valentine’s cards for single people
- Leipzig-based graphic designer Anja Kaiser takes us through her portfolio
- Why creative education for advertising is stuck in the dark ages
- Japanese graphic designer Ryu Mieno creates type-heavy works fizzing with energy
- Graphic artist Patrick Thomas’ found poster collages